Author Topic: half dead DMS  (Read 5238 times)

Offline vdubtiguan

half dead DMS
« on: November 03, 2008, 01:02:47 am »
I am new to this forum....I have a vw version phatbox.  The problem I have is that the DMS is only showing 1 partition...the PHTSYS one.  The second one...PHTDATA just shows as local drive.  I cannot access it...the DMS doctor/repair does not work because of this problem.  Anyone out there with some suggestions on how to overcome this problem...get that second partition back.  I was thinking using something like partition magic....

help....
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.... Albert Einstein.

Offline VorTechS

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
  • PhatHack Media Manager & DMS Tools Wizard Author
Re: half dead DMS
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2008, 07:36:26 am »
If you are not concerned about losing the music on the DMS, then you can use the DMS tools: http://forum.phathack.com/index.php/topic,1641.0.html and use the 'Repair DMS (Full)' button.

« Last Edit: November 03, 2008, 07:38:17 am by VorTechS »
Kenwood KDC-W7031 | Kenwood KHD-CX910 | 250GB DMS | PhatHack Media Manager v1.1.4 (Alpha) | VIOT

Catch me weekdays 8am-4pm GMT on IRC @ irc.freenode.net on channel #phathack (aka the chat link!!)

Offline vdubtiguan

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2008, 11:42:48 pm »
Not worried about losing the data...thanx for link.  I will download and give it a whirl....keep you posted....again...thanx
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.... Albert Einstein.

Offline vdubtiguan

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2008, 12:50:29 am »
I downloaded the software and ran a full repair...restored to original VW specs....It restored the partititions with the proper files put back on them...I have not tried it in my car yet...too busy with work etc.  When I do...and get it working I will rehack for non VW so that I can put any hard drive into it.

Thanx....to all who have made this software....It's amazing what you can find on the web!  You guys rock!!!

Offline vdubtiguan

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2008, 11:28:59 pm »
I am finally at the point where I am going to update my firmware etc...but I don't know which head unit I have in my Jetta.  The chart from the original phatnoise site is corrupt and does not download all the head unit images.  Does anyone have a copy of this document...or know where I can view it so that I can ID my head unit in the setup?

Offline S80_UK

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran.
  • Volvo S80 D5 with VW Phatbox
    • Volvo Phatbox Installation
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2008, 12:01:32 am »
Hi,

I recommend that you do NOT update the firmware at this stage.  It is not necessary to do this if you previously had your DMS working and if the PHTSYS partition was not changed.  It is better to verify that everything is working first. 

Offline vdubtiguan

« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2008, 02:33:42 am »
Too late dude....It's a done deal...and everything works great...different intro voice...but I can live with that.  The next step will be the hack....hope it goes as smooth as the DMS repair did.

Offline S80_UK

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran.
  • Volvo S80 D5 with VW Phatbox
    • Volvo Phatbox Installation
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2008, 09:06:22 pm »
OK - no worries.  I just wanted to save you some headaches in case it didn't all go to plan. 

You know where to ask if you have any issues with the hack.