Author Topic: Problem ejecting DMS  (Read 5204 times)

Offline pjmedlam

Problem ejecting DMS
« on: November 27, 2008, 04:42:06 pm »
I have had my phatnoise for a year and have had no problems so far until this week when I came to add songs for the first time in a couple of months.

I am using version 2.35 of the Music Manager.

When trying to save and eject the DMS I repeatedly get the following message.

"Phatnoise music manager encountered some error when trying to eject the phatnoise DMS cartridge.  If you are accessing DMS or files on the DMS with applications other than Phatnoise Music Manager close those programs and try eject again.

This is especially includes Norton Antivirus if you have Norton or similar applications currently running please close it now. 

Other possibilities include Windows Explorer, My computer, Notepad, and Norton Protected Recycle Bin”

I do have Norton anitvirus running but have never had a problem with it and the Phatnoise until yesterday.   I have turned off the autoprotect part of Norton Antivirus, I can’t find out how to turn it all off completely.  I have no other applications running and I am running phatnoise music manager straight from start up on my PC, I am also not connected to the internet when I have the problem.

At the moment I cannot eject the DMS and have to just close Phatnoise Music manager without ejecting, which keeps warning that I risk damaging the DMS, of course no new updates have been made on the DMS either.

Anyone else encountered this and any ideas how to get rid of the problem?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Offline markbowen

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran.
Re: Problem ejecting DMS
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2008, 10:00:28 am »
In Music Manager, I believe you can "save changes without ejecting," which will update the DMS.  Then you can close MM and use the "safely eject hardware" icon to remove the DMS.

Eject will fail for any number of reasons, most commonly because of antivirus programs, but it can also happen if you have any other windows or programs open.  You should be able to kill Norton and anything else using the Windows task manager.  If you search around on the net you should be able to find which processes are related to Norton, and kill all of those.

It could be specifically because of the Norton protection on the recycle bin.  Right click on your recycle bin and configure it to use different settings per drive.  On the Phatnoise partitions, select "Do not move files to the recycle bin."  You may also be able to turn off that protection from within Norton.

As a side comment, Norton is a terrible antivirus solution.  My friendly advice is to switch to something less demanding on your system and more effective, such as Avast!, TM PC-Cillin or AVG.
Kenwood DNX7200/Kenwood KHD-C710 Keg/320GB DMS