Author Topic: What cable is needed for my Phatbox?  (Read 3839 times)

Offline df1z

What cable is needed for my Phatbox?
« on: November 06, 2008, 05:20:45 am »
Hi, I just recently bought a new VW/Audi Phatbox on eBay for my 2005 Audi A4. I have a factory "Concert I" headunit without a CD changer. Also, there is no pre-wiring in the trunk for a CD changer. I know this because I took the PB to a local custom car stereo shop and they couldn't find it.

What they did tell me is that I needed the proper cable to go from the Phatbox to the headunit's CD changer port. The cable that came with my PB is the 12-pin one labeled "Audi" at the bottom of this page.

I contacted my nearest Audi dealership without much luck. The few guys I spoke to in parts and service had no idea what a Phatbox was and were unable to locate the proper cable at the time.

Can anyone point me in the right direction and help me find the correct cable? Thanks!

Offline VorTechS

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
  • PhatHack Media Manager & DMS Tools Wizard Author
Re: What cable is needed for my Phatbox?
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2008, 07:17:50 am »
Have a look in the For Sale section, there were a couple of guys offering custom made cables of any type for the PhatBox.
Kenwood KDC-W7031 | Kenwood KHD-CX910 | 250GB DMS | PhatHack Media Manager v1.1.4 (Alpha) | VIOT

Catch me weekdays 8am-4pm GMT on IRC @ irc.freenode.net on channel #phathack (aka the chat link!!)

Offline df1z

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2008, 07:29:48 am »
I was taking a look at blitzsafe's web site but I was unable to determine which cable I was needing. I don't know what the connection from the cable to the HU looks like. I'll try contacting their support team. Thanks.

Offline catamount

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2008, 03:01:32 pm »
You should double-check that you don't already have this wire installed.  I bought a '99 A4 avant with no changer but DID find the changer wire tucked in behind the firewall.  Dig around for it before you assume it's not there!  It'll be much easier than trying to find one and wire it up!