Author Topic: Help! Please! DMS Not Working!  (Read 4125 times)

Offline ScreetHoPrez

Help! Please! DMS Not Working!
« on: December 03, 2008, 05:24:02 pm »
Hey all
  First off, let me introduce myself.  My name is Rich and I'm from the Kansas City area.  I have a Kenwood system in my 2005 Dodge Ram 3500 dually, which is my tow pig for my show car and bike.
  I'm a newb here, but I've been browsing these forums for the past week or so trying to resolve my issues.  I bought a Kenwood 910 Music Keg off eBay earlier this year and loved it.  Recently it died on me (hardware issue) and I managed to have it warrantied out with a local stereo shop.  The new one arrived last week.  After putting all of my folders and songs back on the new DMS cartridge I noticed that the Voice Index wasn't working.  I tried a few different things but after they didn't work, I contacted the original seller of my first Keg to see if he had any ideas.
  Luckily, he was nice and gave me some things to try but they didn't work.  He then suggested formatting the PHTSYS partition, which I did.  Then, when I insert the DMS cartridge and open up Music Manager, I'm told that, "PhatNoise Music Manager has detected an unitialized DMS" and then it attempts to run the Wizard.  This of course doesn't get very far due to there being no head unit's on the next screen so I cannot proceed any further.
  I did some digging on here and found out the link to upgrade the firmware, http://downloads.phathack.com/firmware/ .  I downloaded all the .zip files for the Kenwood and unzipped them into the PHTSYS partition.  I still get the same "unitialized" error message when I open up Music Manager. 
  I then decided to try loading just one folder onto the DMS and trying it in my truck.  After unplugging the Keg, inserting the DMS and plugging the Keg back in, the green light just flashes forever.  I let it run for an hour or so before I tried turning on the stereo.  It wouldn't register anything when I selected the Keg as the SRC.
  I even broke down and called Phatnoise.  They just told me to download the last version of the Music Manager and see where that goes.  Otherwise, try the forums... so here I am.
  I'm out of ideas.  Any assistance would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Rich

Offline markbowen

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran.
Re: Help! Please! DMS Not Working!
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2008, 07:53:04 am »
After you wiped the phtsys partition and reloaded the firmware, you are still missing one file, which I believe is properties.xml.  This is why you get the "unitialized DMS" message.  You could have just copied that file from the DMS before wiping the partition and then copied it back.

Your best bet it is to download VortechS' Phathack DMS Tools (see this thread:  http://forum.phathack.com/index.php/topic,1641.0.html) and run a "repair DMS" procedure on your DMS.  This will create the required file, and you should be able to get VIOT working.  Just read through the documentation carefully before you do anything.
Kenwood DNX7200/Kenwood KHD-C710 Keg/320GB DMS

Offline ScreetHoPrez

Re: Help! Please! DMS Not Working!
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2008, 07:58:43 pm »
That fixed it!  Thanks alot!

-Rich