Author Topic: Keep getting BSOD using PMM.  (Read 5197 times)

Offline chr15b

Keep getting BSOD using PMM.
« on: December 12, 2008, 03:56:48 pm »
I installed the Music Manager from the CD and it works fine, however if I go to the options screen and select the CD Encoding tab, the system locks up and gives me a BSOD (DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL) but does not explain to me what file is at fault.

I installed Media Manager and that has a problem but that locks up with the same BSOD when sitting idle.

I've reinstalled software many times and also removed Daemon Tools from my system to see if that was the cause.  I think the issue is with some CD driver.

Any suggestions?

Offline VorTechS

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
  • PhatHack Media Manager & DMS Tools Wizard Author
Re: Keep getting BSOD using PMM.
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2008, 05:38:21 pm »
The most common times I've seen this have been around boot up and O/S installation, and everytime it's been down to a dodgy memory stick.

When it gives you the BSOD error it doesn't tell you which system file it occurs in?

If you suspect it's the CD driver, grab the latest ASPI drivers from here: http://www.download.com/Adaptec-ASPI-Drivers-Windows-98-Me-NT-2000-XP-/3000-2098_4-10161912.html
Kenwood KDC-W7031 | Kenwood KHD-CX910 | 250GB DMS | PhatHack Media Manager v1.1.4 (Alpha) | VIOT

Catch me weekdays 8am-4pm GMT on IRC @ irc.freenode.net on channel #phathack (aka the chat link!!)

Offline chr15b

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2008, 12:16:07 pm »
Hi mate,

The blue screen does not tell me which file it is, which isn't very helpful.

The cocerning thing is, I use the computer with various software from some that use no memory and some use nearly all of the memory and I've never had a BSOD before.  I use three programs for dealing with CD's (Freerip, Nero & IMGBurn) and they have never had a problem.

I downloaded the package and installed the files and rebooted, I then reinstalled the Music Manager software and tried again but it is giving me the same problem.

Any other suggestions?

Offline chr15b

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2008, 06:29:30 pm »
Hi again,

I done a little bit of experimenting this afternoon trying different things and I managed to find a way to get both Media/Music Manager to work with no problems.

To do this, I need to disable my CDROM drive in Device Manager... once I done that it worked perfectly, I re-enabled it and it gave the BSOD.

It seems to be, that the software does not like my optical drive or motherboard controller ... which is very strange?

Offline markbowen

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran.
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2008, 07:46:46 pm »
Nero and those other programs are constantly updated to work with newer optical drives.  The Phatnoise software is almost four years old at this point, with no updates, so it is increasingly likely that it might misbehave with newer hardware. 
Kenwood DNX7200/Kenwood KHD-C710 Keg/320GB DMS