Author Topic: Keep your eye on ebay  (Read 13734 times)

Offline ws

Re: Keep your eye on ebay
« Reply #20 on: August 30, 2005, 11:58:52 am »
Well they're clearly watching this thread closely. Now they've changed the background color of the image, effectively acknowledging that the image is stolen.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2005, 12:15:43 pm by ws »

Offline underground

« Reply #21 on: August 30, 2005, 01:10:07 pm »
Being a 'newbie' i was fascinated reading this thread...
I bought an 80Gb drive from beckytaylor1968 in May of this year. Actually managed to buy privately and saved her the bay fees and myself a few quid.
Now i just wish I'd held off as it seems now possible to do the upgrade myself.
I must say, I was pretty dubious about sending my 20Gb DMS to him, and concerned that it may simply be a scam, but was persuaded by his feedback rating.
Anyway, the drive arrived a few days later and although it took a 30 minute phone call to get it working, it did work flawlessly. Even my MP3's had been copied over to the new DMS.
This being so, has this upgrade been done differently to the method being advertised here? From what I have read so far, this method was not available back in May?

Offline SteveC

• Getting the hang of things.
« Reply #22 on: August 30, 2005, 01:16:43 pm »
By the way, don't worry about this goober's threat regarding the e-mail you posted here.

Any communication sent to you is yours to do with as you please, unless you are recieving the communication under the terms of a binding non-disclosure agreement or other instrument that restricts it's dissemination.

What a 'ron.

Offline Paul

• Global Moderator
  • Needs to get outside.
« Reply #23 on: August 30, 2005, 02:09:45 pm »
Yeah, I'm not worried in the least.  The best part is that since this person keeps checking this thread and making changes, I keep logging their IP address and noting the changes.  Then I go back in my log history and show that they have been browsing the forum (and I have logs of exactly which threads) and downloading the hack.  All I have to do now is buy a drive upgrade kit from them, show that the method of this forum is being used (rather than changing the serial number) and viola!

Be careful who you sell to, BeckyTaylor. :)  Though, at this point, it probably doesn't matter - I have all the evidence of violation of the User Agreement of this site anyway.

-----------------------------------------------------------
Oh, and I started my morning with another cheerful BeckyTaylor e-mail:

Question from beckytaylor1968  
I see at last some of your more intelligent subscribers have finally put you straight!
Did you seriously think you were the first to crack the PN?
You are obviously a lot more more stupid than you try to make out.
Good luck with your lawyers...
Your breach of the DPA98 is going to cost you dearly.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2005, 02:20:24 pm by admin »

Offline judb

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
  • ph4t l3wtz
« Reply #24 on: August 31, 2005, 04:23:38 am »
I am sorry, there is no such thing as expectation of privacy with email.  Anyone that expects the contents of an email that is unencrypted to be kept private is not a very savvy computer user.

Paul: I hope you can figure out a way to do something about people who are using our method but I had heard of ebay user posting modded drives using the fujitsu method that Terry Kennedy used prior to us making the hack work properly.

If people are sending their phatbox in to this person then they could be using our method, but I highly doubt thats what they are doing from the sounds of things.

Person who is emailing Paul: shut up, you cant do anything about public posting of emails to other parties.. the internet is not a secure envrionment and I'd be willing to bet your emails did not have an expressly written notice of confidentiality (sp?) to inform the recipient(s) / interceptor(s) of said email of your right to privacy.  You have no leg to stand on.  sorry.  :P  You know it, I know it, we all know it.  keep sending those emails if you want to keep us laughing! :)

Offline ws

« Reply #25 on: August 31, 2005, 06:33:32 am »
Auction has disappeared.

Offline judb

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
  • ph4t l3wtz
« Reply #26 on: October 20, 2005, 04:59:32 am »
http://cgi.ebay.com/KENWOOD-MUSIC-KEG-PHATBOX-MEMORY-UPGRADE-CHEAP_W0QQitemZ5818461214QQcategoryZ50557QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
this was pointed out to me today.. Ha.. love that guys auction, obviously hes quite technical!

Offline Paul

• Global Moderator
  • Needs to get outside.
« Reply #27 on: October 20, 2005, 02:49:44 pm »
Ebay and the seller have been sent my standard cease & desist letter, which so far, e-bay has been obeying.

This gets old though.  It's funny how people will search e-bay for "dms hard drive" but not google. :P

Offline todd1010

• Veteran.
  • 2005 Audi S4
« Reply #28 on: October 20, 2005, 03:48:02 pm »
Just a thought but, since its a "risky" process. Why can't someone offer such a service as this? I am by no means supporting that, so I thougt I'd ask.
todd1010 AT gmail DOT com

Offline judb

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
  • ph4t l3wtz
« Reply #29 on: October 20, 2005, 04:15:47 pm »
We could perhaps.. if it was in some non profit format, and it was legal.  That would be an interesting way of paying for bandwidth and hosting and what not.. I mean, make it a formal service, buy some google ad words.. hmmm..

The main thing is seeing if doing that would run afoul of phatnoise's legal position.

Anyone know an IP lawyer?

Offline Paul

• Global Moderator
  • Needs to get outside.
« Reply #30 on: October 20, 2005, 10:18:53 pm »
It's illegal.

Offline judb

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
  • ph4t l3wtz
« Reply #31 on: October 21, 2005, 01:55:01 am »
It's illegal.

party pooper! ;)

Offline hankoll

« Reply #32 on: October 21, 2005, 03:11:51 pm »
is it legal for me to offer to upgrade someone's phatbox/keg for free?

ie. they bring their car, phatbox, dms over to my house
i perform the upgrade as they wait
they leave - no money changes hands

I know some people who would love to do this but are completely computer illiterate.  

Offline judb

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
  • ph4t l3wtz
« Reply #33 on: October 21, 2005, 07:29:10 pm »
is it legal for me to offer to upgrade someone's phatbox/keg for free?

ie. they bring their car, phatbox, dms over to my house
i perform the upgrade as they wait
they leave - no money changes hands

I know some people who would love to do this but are completely computer illiterate.  

I wouldn't say, post on the internet about it, but thats not really what I would call illegal.  but im not a lawyer either.