Author Topic: Wanted: Broken PhatBox to get PinOuts  (Read 6578 times)

Offline sbingner

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
Wanted: Broken PhatBox to get PinOuts
« on: January 03, 2009, 02:05:12 am »
I'd like a broken phatbox so I can try to get a circuit diagram off the circuit board.   Please let me know if you're willing to give me one, I will pay shipping.

Offline ccdalla

Re: Wanted: Broken PhatBox to get PinOuts
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2009, 07:45:25 pm »
Just an aside- you probably ought to put out a call for pinouts of the cable that connect the Phatbox to various head units as well.  Given the variety of HU interfaces and the fact that the guys at Phatnoise were probably making at least some effort to make the Phatbox as universal as possible, it would be good to know where on the Phatbox (and more to the point, on the 8051) connections were expected to occur for standard UART vs. differential UART vs. CAN bus, etc.

-c

Offline S80_UK

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran.
  • Volvo S80 D5 with VW Phatbox
    • Volvo Phatbox Installation
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2009, 02:57:11 am »
You mean like this....

http://www.phathack.com/pinouts.html

This is why sbingner is after a spare box - to trace more of the detail of the external connections (which are already pretty widely known) to the 8051, and to an extent to the CPLD which is also sometimes involved. 

For info, Phatbox/Keg sits on "standard" CD changer interfaces.  There is no CAN controller in the device, since CAN has not generally been used for CD changer control.  Most interfaces use synchronous serial forms (SPI/microwire style) but with adapted by each head unit manufacturer. There may be some which are UART based, I imagine.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2009, 03:11:34 am by S80_UK »

Offline my2kmx5

• PhatHacker
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2009, 12:36:43 am »
For your purposes will a Kenwood Music Keg work?

Offline sbingner

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2009, 06:01:54 am »
yes, it would work perfectly...

Offline my2kmx5

• PhatHacker
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2009, 09:54:30 pm »
You can have the Kenwood Keg that I have. Let me know your mailing address and I will ship it to you. I changed my preferences so I think you can pm me or email me with the needed info.