Author Topic: MP3 codec...  (Read 6669 times)

Offline tokuro

MP3 codec...
« on: January 21, 2009, 05:11:10 pm »
I've moved my Audi Phatbox to Volvo based on instruction i found here.  Yes, i have different car stereo (2002 Audi A6 Bose to 2005 Volvo HU850).  But, i really feel that MP3 codec in Volvo firmware does not sound as good as Audi's firmware was.

Can someone just post Audi MP3 codec?  I can then move it to volvo and see if its the codec or difference in the stereo causing the difference.

please???

Offline VorTechS

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
  • PhatHack Media Manager & DMS Tools Wizard Author
Re: MP3 codec...
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2009, 07:54:17 am »
Kenwood KDC-W7031 | Kenwood KHD-CX910 | 250GB DMS | PhatHack Media Manager v1.1.4 (Alpha) | VIOT

Catch me weekdays 8am-4pm GMT on IRC @ irc.freenode.net on channel #phathack (aka the chat link!!)

Offline S80_UK

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran.
  • Volvo S80 D5 with VW Phatbox
    • Volvo Phatbox Installation
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2009, 09:25:50 am »
Hello Tokuro,

Good to see you on this forum as well.

I just looked at the files - It seems the MP3 codec file is identical between Audi and Volvo firmware versions.  (so are Ogg and FLAC).  WMA is different.

I haven't tried a listening test though.  For what it's worth I use FLAC for music and AAC for audio books.  I don't think I have ever tried MP3 in the 3 years I've had the box in my car.

Regards,

Les.

Offline VorTechS

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
  • PhatHack Media Manager & DMS Tools Wizard Author
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2009, 09:48:48 am »
WMA is different.

It's worth noting that the DMS tools installs a newer version of the WMA player. ;)

If anyone wants to play with later versions of any of the player files (if you know where to get them), and let me know if they work I'd be happy (eventually) to update the firmware files to provide support for them through the DMS tools....
Kenwood KDC-W7031 | Kenwood KHD-CX910 | 250GB DMS | PhatHack Media Manager v1.1.4 (Alpha) | VIOT

Catch me weekdays 8am-4pm GMT on IRC @ irc.freenode.net on channel #phathack (aka the chat link!!)