Author Topic: Music keg to new 8120 Ipod interface !  (Read 5750 times)

Offline Kat_Daddy

• A few posts under my belt.
  • PhatHacker
Music keg to new 8120 Ipod interface !
« on: January 30, 2009, 04:05:11 am »
Hey havnt been on in awhile, just bought a new Kenwood DNX-8120. I wanna keep my phatbox, cuzz i love it and havnt found anything close to it, not even the harddrive hogging I-junk. The problem is, i didnt know till after i bought the new hu, that it doesnt have the cd changer controls like every other kenwood unit has. It does have 2 usb inputs for ipods though. I was wondering if you guys have a cable to adapt the keg to the new h.u. through that or any of its inputs.
  thanks in advance

Offline Kat_Daddy

• PhatHacker
Re: Music keg to new 8120 Ipod interface !
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2009, 05:55:39 pm »
  Okay, i found the following pinouts below. They have alot in common. I know there has to be away. Thye have adapters that will upgrade the changer controls to ipod controls. I need sumn that is backward compatible to turn my existing ipod hookup to a changer hookup. I see the audio signals. I just dont know about that serial data stuff to know if once its connected, will it be able to recognize and control the music keg. If any of you techs could shed some light i would certainly appreciate it.

http://www.phathack.com/index.cgi?page=pinouts

http://pinouts.ru/Devices/ipod_pinout.shtml

Offline S80_UK

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran.
  • Volvo S80 D5 with VW Phatbox
    • Volvo Phatbox Installation
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2009, 11:57:28 pm »
I think I am going to disappoint you.  iPod and CD changers are two extremely different animals.  I could send you the Apple docs on iPod control, but then I'd have to kill you, so I won't.  It would be a significant hardware and software development to translate iPod contol into a CD changer control that is compatible with the Phatbox (if it was actually possible).

I am not a Kenwood expert, but I think you need an earlier head unit than the one that you have.  Others on the forum can probably shed more light on suitable models.

Offline markbowen

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran.
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2009, 01:16:17 am »
Les is right on all counts, the main point being that your 8120 and any 2008 or later model Kenwood is not going to work with the PB/Keg.  If it is not too late to return or exchange it, you need to get a 2007 model.  You can check the Kenwood 2007 catalogs here:  http://www.kenwoodusa.com/Support/Car_Entertainment_Catalogs/

There is nothing that the 2008 all in one Kenwood nav units offer over the 2007 models apart from integrated Bluetooth and updated maps -- and you can easily add Bluetooth and update the maps on the 2007 models.  Especially on a Kenwood, nothing matches the ease of a Keg with VIOT.
Kenwood DNX7200/Kenwood KHD-C710 Keg/320GB DMS

Offline Kat_Daddy

• PhatHacker
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2009, 11:12:16 pm »
For conversation purposes, how do they have a kenwood adapter that allows the existing cd changer port (on earlier models) to fully control the ipod if the signals were so different ??? Surely there has to be a way. Also let me point out, that the connection on the back of the h.u. is a USB connector. The ipod connector is an included accessory. If you can help me adapt to usb that would be even better, less wires.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-IPOD-I-POD-KENWOOD-CABLE-ADAPTOR-ADAPTER-INTERFACE_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trkparmsZ72Q3a1234Q7c66Q3a2Q7c65Q3a12Q7c39Q3a1Q7c240Q3a1318Q7c301Q3a1Q7c293Q3a1Q7c294Q3a50QQ_trksidZp3286Q2ec0Q2em14QQhashZitem380100609560QQitemZ380100609560QQptZCarQ5fAudioQ5fVideo

Offline S80_UK

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran.
  • Volvo S80 D5 with VW Phatbox
    • Volvo Phatbox Installation
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2009, 12:43:26 am »
So, does it actually allow the head unit to control the iPod...?  It doesn't say that.   Or does is just pass through the power for charging and the audio back to the head unit.  For $10 I guess it's just the wires and the connectors - so you choose the tracks/playlists on the iPod and then select the CD changer on the headunit.

Apart from the fact that you need the reverse operation, there is the small matter of actually being able to control a CD changer - selecting discs by number (1-6), selecting next/previous, etc, not to mention the problem areas of start up and shut down.

As I said before - to provide control to a CD changer interface requires hardware and software.  Whatever is used must have a USB slave port that will connect to the head unit.  Some software to handle all of the complex communication that goes with USB device enumeration, then some buffering and intelligence to translate the commands, reply where appropriate, translate and forward where appropriate, then more hardware to convert to the interface of the CD changer.  I am not saying it can't be done.  Just that it is very complex, and not a quick hobby project. 

Offline markbowen

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran.
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2009, 12:54:53 pm »
Les is again correct.  That cable on eBay is not a Kenwood cable, it's a PiE cable made for Kenwood radios.  It will charge the iPod and pass the audio from the iPod to the aux source, but it will NOT control the iPod.  The only direct control of an iPod on Kenwoods is via USB.

If you are determined to stick with this head unit, the only way you might be able to connect a Keg (without designing a new USB-to-Keg cable, as well as a number of software mods) would be with one of Kenwood's external media controllers (e.g. KOS-A200).
Kenwood DNX7200/Kenwood KHD-C710 Keg/320GB DMS

Offline Kat_Daddy

• PhatHacker
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2009, 05:02:08 pm »
Highly dissappointed  :(