Author Topic: USA 2.0 Cradle not working - HELP PLEASE!  (Read 4405 times)

Offline dude

USA 2.0 Cradle not working - HELP PLEASE!
« on: February 08, 2009, 02:49:50 pm »
I just found you all yesterday so here is my 1st post.
I have a USB 2.0 cradle that the computer does not recognize. I am running Windows 98 as my Vista machine corrupts the voice tracks, kind of kills the thrill of phatnoise...When you insert the dms into the cradle the red light comes on, the green light comes on and you hear the dms drive spin. Then in a few seconds the green light goes out and the computer never recognizes the dms.
Does anyone have an idea how to rectify the situation?
Thanks for your help!!
dude

Offline markbowen

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran.
Re: USA 2.0 Cradle not working - HELP PLEASE!
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2009, 04:40:58 pm »
Windows 98 does not natively support USB 2.0.  You have to install drivers for the cradle.

Get them here:  http://www.phatnoise.com/downloads/drivers.aspx
Kenwood DNX7200/Kenwood KHD-C710 Keg/320GB DMS

Offline dude

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2009, 09:06:35 pm »
I forgot to add - I added drivers, specific to my cradle, to the machine yesterday and still no success.

Offline markbowen

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran.
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2009, 11:36:20 pm »
Assuming the cradle was working before under Vista, and assuming you're running Win98 on a different computer, the problem is with that computer, either in the software or hardware. 

Does the Win98 computer even have USB 2.0 ports, and are they enabled in the BIOS?  What else is connected?  Try disconnecting everything and make sure the cradle is connected to a port in the back.  Does the computer do anything when the DMS is inserted in the cradle -- make a sound, anything?

It's possible that some previously installed USB drivers are causing a conflict with the cradle drivers.  Check your installed programs and drivers, and uninstall as much as you can.

If nothing else works, the easiest way to solve the problem might be to install XP instead of Win98...
Kenwood DNX7200/Kenwood KHD-C710 Keg/320GB DMS

Offline S80_UK

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran.
  • Volvo S80 D5 with VW Phatbox
    • Volvo Phatbox Installation
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2009, 12:31:52 am »
If nothing else works, the easiest way to solve the problem might be to install XP instead of Win98...
... or Windows 2000.  From memory (it's a long time back) Windows 98 was pretty fussy about USB drivers.  I still have Win 2K on one machine and it's extremely stable.