Author Topic: Will an upgrade of firmware reflash the flash?  (Read 5295 times)

Offline Genesis

• Getting the hang of things.
  • Bite Me
Will an upgrade of firmware reflash the flash?
« on: July 28, 2005, 03:11:18 pm »
In other words, if one hacks in a new disk, and then upgrades the firmware in the box, do the changes "go away"?

Anyone know?

Offline RobM

• A few posts under my belt.
Re: Will an upgrade of firmware reflash the flash?
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2005, 03:29:12 pm »
No, the firmware that PhatNoise ships is only for the 8051 and the CPLD.  The bootloader flash isn't modified by anything other than our stuff.

Offline judb

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
  • ph4t l3wtz
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2005, 04:50:46 pm »
That is however, not to say that phatnoise may attempt to block our method of unlocking by releasing new firmware that does modify the flash chip and or block future writes to it.  So use caution in updating your firmware after you have dont the hack.

They could also release an upgrade that disables your phatbox if its got modified firmware detected.. Not that they would be prone to making their boxes DOA but anything is possible.

Offline Genesis

• Getting the hang of things.
  • Bite Me
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2005, 06:42:33 pm »
Yeah.... that's what I was concerned about - the possibility of them doing something evil like that.

Disabling the box would likely get them sued though, since that would have to be an intentional act - I can see where one could easily construe that as literal intentional destruction of private property.

To refuse to load new firmware would be within their rights.... but not to destroy existing code (e.g. "wipe the flash chip")