Author Topic: help me fix my phatbox  (Read 11121 times)

Offline bushing

• Needs to get outside.
  • props to my peeps
help me fix my phatbox
« on: July 22, 2005, 03:51:28 pm »
Ok hardware hackers.  I'm starting to have phatbox withdrawl.  Let's figure out what's wrong with my PhatBox ... lest this happen to one of you :)

The only thing I can think of that could have caused problems would be something random like static discharge -- it stopped working between the time when I powered my unit down and then powered it back up 30 seconds later.

The symptom is that even though I am applying 12 volts to the main power input from my test bench, the red LED never comes on.  

I have verified that the ribbon cable is correctly seated, and I have a DMS cartridge in the drive.

It sounds like the 7312 is not getting power; maybe the flash code in the 8051 got fried? maybe I could jumper the power supply on to the chip?

Hell, maybe it'll start working if I just plug it into my car? we'll see.

any thoughts?

-b

Offline judb

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
  • ph4t l3wtz
Re: help me fix my phatbox
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2005, 04:02:58 pm »
Well, do you have a digital volt meter?  I would suggest hooking it up.. holding down the button on your drive interface card (without the drive plugged in, maybe use some tape) and then test the powersupply outputs and inputs to see if you have voltage there.  Then check the power pins on the CPU and see if its getting power..??

Offline bushing

• Needs to get outside.
  • props to my peeps
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2005, 06:19:35 pm »
Well, do you have a digital volt meter?  I would suggest hooking it up.. holding down the button on your drive interface card (without the drive plugged in, maybe use some tape) and then test the powersupply outputs and inputs to see if you have voltage there.  Then check the power pins on the CPU and see if its getting power..??

Yes, I have a DVM. :)  When you say the power supply, do you mean my bench supply, or the power supply chip on the board?  I've checked the former, but I will check the power supply chip output and the CPU input, hopefully on Sunday.

-b

Offline judb

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
  • ph4t l3wtz
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2005, 06:25:58 pm »
I mean the powersupply on the board itself.  i forget which pins exaclty have what voltage... I can look it up again though if you'd like.

Offline bushing

• Needs to get outside.
  • props to my peeps
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2005, 08:19:20 pm »
I mean the powersupply on the board itself.  i forget which pins exaclty have what voltage... I can look it up again though if you'd like.

Don't, if it's any trouble ... at the same time, it would be good info for the Wiki.

-b

Offline judb

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
  • ph4t l3wtz
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2005, 12:28:19 am »
http://pdf.alldatasheet.com/datasheet-pdf/view/94044/PHILIPS/TDA3681J.html

The block diagram may help you figure out which pin.  When I get home I'll try and track it down though.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2005, 12:29:12 am by judb »

Offline RobM

• A few posts under my belt.
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2005, 12:40:08 am »
The pins go from 1 to 17 from left to right as you're looking from the inside of the phatbox towards the back.

Pin 13 is ground.

Pin 15 (Regulator 2) should be 5V and always on when the "ignition' is on.  This powers the microcontroller.

Pin 4 (Regulator 4) is 3.3V, and only on when the PB is powered-up by the head unit.  This is the supply for the ARM, SDRAM, Flash, etc.

Pin 2 (Regulator 3) is 5V, and is also only on when the PB is powered-up by the head unit.

Pin 1 (Regulator 1) is 8.5V, and I'm not sure it gets used for anything (it might not even be enabled, I haven't checked).

Offline sbingner

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2005, 10:17:29 am »
well now that I got my box re-fixed...

Have you verified that you have the jumper ON JP1?  If that's off it won't do anything.  If it is on, try switching it to the other side of the jumper.   It's normally like:

Code: [Select]
[--]-
and you should try
Code: [Select]
-[--]

assuming you look at it with the lights to the left and the processor above it

Offline sbingner

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2005, 10:18:27 am »

is that in the IRC logs?

Offline judb

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
  • ph4t l3wtz
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2005, 01:05:17 pm »

is that in the IRC logs?

The pins go from 1 to 17 from left to right as you're looking from the inside of the phatbox towards the back.

Pin 13 is ground.

Pin 15 (Regulator 2) should be 5V and always on when the "ignition' is on.  This powers the microcontroller.

Pin 4 (Regulator 4) is 3.3V, and only on when the PB is powered-up by the head unit.  This is the supply for the ARM, SDRAM, Flash, etc.

Pin 2 (Regulator 3) is 5V, and is also only on when the PB is powered-up by the head unit.

Pin 1 (Regulator 1) is 8.5V, and I'm not sure it gets used for anything (it might not even be enabled, I haven't checked).

Looks like RobM beat me to the punch.. :)

Offline bushing

• Needs to get outside.
  • props to my peeps
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2005, 01:41:40 pm »
Okay, I added the info to http://wiki.phathack.com/Hardware_FAQ.  I'll try it when I get a chance on Sunday. Thanks guys!

Even if I can't get this to work, I may end up going out and buying another one anyway.  The only reason I'm hesitating is that I rilly want to buy this: AVIC D1, because it's a nav system that can take real-time traffic data from XM and plot it on a map, and route around it.

But it would be incompatible with my PB! :o

-b

Offline RobM

« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2005, 02:24:46 pm »
You could actually get it working with an AVIC-D1.  If you get an RB10 or RB20 aux IP-Bus input adapter, and a Kenwood changer controller, you could use the PB that way, assuming you've got a place to put the changer controller.  :)

Offline bushing

• Needs to get outside.
  • props to my peeps
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2005, 09:09:36 am »
You could actually get it working with an AVIC-D1.  If you get an RB10 or RB20 aux IP-Bus input adapter, and a Kenwood changer controller, you could use the PB that way, assuming you've got a place to put the changer controller.  :)

Thanks, Rob.  Like I really need you helping me justify spending more money. :-D

Just as a follow-up -- I think I know what my problem was here.  My JP1 jumper seems loose -- if I wiggle it, I can see the red LED flicker off and on.  If anyone has that happen to them, try that "wiggle test", first.

It's still causing the thing to crash sometimes in my car ... I'm going to see if I can bend the pins away from each other a little bit to make better contact, otherwise I'm just going to solder that sucker.

Ben

Offline skew

« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2005, 12:54:09 pm »
question why would you even want a AVIC-D1 when it doesn't even have dvd playback and an inferror navigation system when you could get a 7017 kenwood and use the keg to its fullest?

Offline bushing

• Needs to get outside.
  • props to my peeps
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2005, 10:18:03 pm »
question why would you even want a AVIC-D1 when it doesn't even have dvd playback and an inferror navigation system when you could get a 7017 kenwood and use the keg to its fullest?

One word: NavTraffic.

That having been said, I don't know why the AVIC D1 doesn't play DVDs but the N2 does -- but I'd much rather have the double-din form factor than a flip-out.

Looking at reviews online, a lot of people seem to pan on NavTraffic's actual functionality... Hmm...  That Kenwood box may not be a bad idea.

Apparently, there are also some "Traffic Pro" units that can do nav and work with the PhatBox?

Ben