Author Topic: Patch is not working  (Read 16589 times)

Offline Terry_Kennedy

• Veteran.
  • There and back again
Re: Patch is not working
« Reply #20 on: July 09, 2009, 03:22:44 am »
Unbelievable!!!  If anyone has any ideas on how this might be repaired, let me know, although I guess it really doesn't matter anymore since I now have two hacked Music Kegs.

It depends on how much of a computer geek you are. If it was me, I'd take the drive out of the DMS and use a 2.5" to 3.5" IDE adapter to hook the drive up to a spare PC, and then either run the manufacturer's full "this will destroy your data" diagnostic (if the manufacturer offers one - I know Seagate and Western Digital do), or boot a Unix CD and dd the whole disk.

Of course, that will destroy the magic signature that the PhatBox checks (not a problem with a hacked box, however). I seem to recall that the hack tools offer a way of saving (and restoring?) the signature.

However, a brand new 320GB drive is only around $90 and an 80GB drive is under $50.

Offline VorTechS

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
  • PhatHack Media Manager & DMS Tools Wizard Author
« Reply #21 on: July 09, 2009, 07:42:59 pm »
Unfortunately I never wrote the restore bit, but it does log the backup stringso it's to reverse that to perform a restore.
I will add it to the list of things to do for the next version that no-one is crying out for ;)

Otherwise I'm very glad things workd out in the end.  Very strange problem you had, reverting the old files is such a weird behavior I wouldn't even know where to start dignosing the problem!
Kenwood KDC-W7031 | Kenwood KHD-CX910 | 250GB DMS | PhatHack Media Manager v1.1.4 (Alpha) | VIOT

Catch me weekdays 8am-4pm GMT on IRC @ irc.freenode.net on channel #phathack (aka the chat link!!)

Offline sbingner

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
« Reply #22 on: July 09, 2009, 11:47:03 pm »
I suggest telling the DMS tools to create it as a "new DMS" -- that won't overwrite your signature and it'll completely wipe everything off it.

Offline slowwagon

• A few posts under my belt.
« Reply #23 on: July 10, 2009, 03:59:04 pm »
None of the actions are selectable in DMS Tools Mode.  Would that be normal behavior for original DMS's?

Offline sbingner

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
« Reply #24 on: July 10, 2009, 07:30:51 pm »
I didn't think so... Vor?

Otherwise you could just try formatting them as FAT32 from windows -- if you can't do it from explorer you can use "mkdosfs" or another utility

Offline VorTechS

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
  • PhatHack Media Manager & DMS Tools Wizard Author
« Reply #25 on: July 17, 2009, 01:43:00 pm »
Sorry been away for a bit.  It would be normal if you haven't selected a DMS cartridge and firmware version...
Kenwood KDC-W7031 | Kenwood KHD-CX910 | 250GB DMS | PhatHack Media Manager v1.1.4 (Alpha) | VIOT

Catch me weekdays 8am-4pm GMT on IRC @ irc.freenode.net on channel #phathack (aka the chat link!!)

Offline slowwagon

« Reply #26 on: July 20, 2009, 05:46:04 pm »
No worries, I have a new 80 gig drive that is working, but with one hitch.  I plays my music playlists perfectly, but I get the "Corrupt Track" announcement when I try to play my Audible playlists.  Any suggestions?

Offline Terry_Kennedy

• Veteran.
  • There and back again
« Reply #27 on: July 20, 2009, 10:50:19 pm »
No worries, I have a new 80 gig drive that is working, but with one hitch.  I plays my music playlists perfectly, but I get the "Corrupt Track" announcement when I try to play my Audible playlists.  Any suggestions?

Missing plugin?

Offline slowwagon

« Reply #28 on: July 20, 2009, 11:13:51 pm »
There's an Audible plugin?

Offline Terry_Kennedy

• Veteran.
  • There and back again
« Reply #29 on: July 21, 2009, 03:53:23 am »
There's an Audible plugin?

Yup. It's a standard one, so it probably doesn't appear in any list of optional plugins.

I believe it is the aadec file. For the BMW version of the Phatbox, it seems to have appeared in version 7.00, which notes "3. Audible support added".

That means it should be in any firmware newer than July 31, 2002 (you can check your DMS's PHTSYS for the aadec file).

Offline slowwagon

« Reply #30 on: July 23, 2009, 06:27:56 pm »
Well, then it should be on the DMS since I did a full repair with Kenwood firmware v13.01.  I'll have to check it when I get back home.