Author Topic: Hack Disk Problems continued...  (Read 8009 times)

Offline ws

Hack Disk Problems continued...
« on: July 29, 2005, 06:02:59 pm »
Quote "The empty playlist is the issue.  download the zip from the wiki for the script page.. linked here as well
http://judb.phathack.com/files/phat-patch.zip
and copy the P0.* files (four of them) to the default folder and try it again.

also make sure the file in PHTDTA/music is called Flash-Temp.flac (just rename it if it isnt.) this is due to changes in the scripts that they may not match.. the CD uses another set of playlists... "

Tried that it it still doesn't work. I'm going to re-partition the original DMS again and try the manual script.

Offline judb

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
  • ph4t l3wtz
Re: Hack Disk Problems continued...
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2005, 06:26:21 pm »
Wait, how are you repartitioning it?  are you using the boot disk to do it?  You can ruin your DMS if you don't do it right.

Offline ws

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2005, 06:34:59 pm »
Yes, using the boot disk. Just run the manual script and it seems to work. Thanks.

Offline ws

Re: Hack Disk Problems -success...
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2005, 04:19:36 pm »
In case it helps anyone else....

I have an Audi Phatbox with a 20Gb DMS. I ran V1.1 of the hack disk and got a partition error - one of the partitions showed up as NO NAME although Windows correctly identified it as PHTDTA.

I ran the hack disk with ALT+F3, option 4 to repartition the DMS and re-installed the firmware with PMM, deleted forceupdate. Then added 3 playlists.

This time the hack disk worked up to the Write Flash Code to DMS, which failed. Re-booted and tried again and it worked. Took the DMS to the car and played the first playlist. I didn't get the expected message but figured it might have worked anyway.

Fitted a new drive to the DMS and the rest of the script ran without error. Took the new DMS, tried it and got NO CD error so the flash had failed.

As a last resort, re-partitioned the DMS and tried the old manual script and it worked. I didn't need to use DD to copy the first 1Mb as the hack disk had done that part correctly and copied PHTSYS to the new drive.

I guess some of the issues I experienced may have been addressed by V1.3 but I'm happy. Thanks for all your hard work.

Offline judb

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
  • ph4t l3wtz
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2005, 04:42:10 pm »
These Audi / VW boxes are not working well with the scripts.  I don't know exactly why.. (sometimes its due to typos when I release updates.. all my DMS' are updated so I cant really test anymore)

if I had an audi or vw phatbox to play with I am sure I could figure out whats going on.

Sorry folks.  if you have a VW or Audi box you may have some extra fun to work through.

Offline todd1010

• Veteran.
  • 2005 Audi S4
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2005, 04:44:07 pm »
Yeah I have one also. Remember what we went thru?
todd1010 AT gmail DOT com

Offline Genesis

• Getting the hang of things.
  • Bite Me
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2005, 02:18:37 am »
I know what the problem is - the VW/Audi boxes WILL NOT play a list that does not have a VALID voice tag.

The fix is to go ahead and do the patch thing with the disk, but BEFORE you insert the disk in the Phatbox, open PHTDTA on your windows machine.

Open the PROFILES directory.  Inside there is a file called "Profiles".  Open that in wordpad.

The first stanza in there reads:

[Default]
num_discs=2
startup_sound=
pattern=$Artist$ - $Title$

The only line of interest is the third inside (soe of the others may be slightly different) the "Default" stanza, which reads "startup_sound=".

Change that to read:
startup_sound=/dos/data/music/flactemp.flac

Save the file.

Now check PHTDTA for a directory called "Music" (case doesn't matter, its DOS)  Inside there should be a file (from the patch disk) called "flactemp.flac".

If there is, you're all set.

Go insert the DMS into the Phatbox, then turn it on.

There will be NO indication that anything has happened when the box starts up.  Let 30 seconds or so of the first song that plays go by, then turn it off.

Wait for the RED LIGHT on the Phatbox to go out, and remove the DMS.

Put it back in your PC cradle and open PHTSYS.

There should be a directory in there called "log".

Look inside there.

If there are multiple files OTHER THAN "logs-go-here" or "logshere", then the patch process EXECUTED and your box should be unlocked.

If there are NO files in there (other than those two aforementioned files - only one of them may be present, or both) then the patch DID NOT run.

If the files are NOT present, post back here.  If they ARE, then go ahead and swap in the new disk.

Remember once you put the new disk in the holder that you MUST go into PMM and tell it to update the firmware on the NEW DMS (the one with the "bogus" disk).  This is NECESSARY because the new cartridge has NO firmware on it!

Once you have done that, you probably want to remove the file "foreceupdate" from the PHTSYS folder, since your box doesn't need its firmware updated.

Now go insert the "cloned" DMS into the Phatbox, and it should work.

I had to hack around to get the VW/Audi boxes to unlock, and can help you get it working.  I have a 60gb un-branded Samsung disk working in my Jetta right now - its not difficult, but does require a bit of manual manipulation.

Offline todd1010

• Veteran.
  • 2005 Audi S4
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2005, 03:36:00 am »
Wonder if this has something to do with me running Phatvoice and then when I go to put in the DMS in the Phatbox it doesn't want to play? So I have to reload the HU firmware, delete "forceupdate" and aleast I get music then but my voice tags do not work.

I have an Audi S4 and I figure that there's something up.

Offline Genesis

• Bite Me
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2005, 03:42:03 am »
Entirely possible.

I know the VW box throws up and has a fit if the voice tags are not to its liking.  Sometimes you will get "corrupt track", sometimes you will simply get an announcement of the last VALID playlist you selected, and it will go back there!

Since the Audi and VW boxes use the same firmware, I bet its the same sort of issue.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2005, 03:42:24 am by Genesis »

Offline todd1010

• Veteran.
  • 2005 Audi S4
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2005, 03:45:31 am »
So what steps should I take to cure this? Since I've already "flashed" my Phatbox and it does work and has worked with the new hard drive, where should back step to resovle this?

Offline Genesis

• Bite Me
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2005, 04:02:29 am »
If you go into PMM and rebuild the voice index files, does that help?