Author Topic: Hacking PhatNoise: What's possible and what's not  (Read 7986 times)

Offline rfkrocktk

Hacking PhatNoise: What's possible and what's not
« on: July 31, 2009, 10:17:40 pm »
I've owned a PhatNoise system for some time now and I really like it. I know that there are a lot of things that you can do to a PhatNoise system, but I wanted to know what's really possible and why one would want to do it.

I understand that the PhatNoise system is essentially an optimized Linux operating system that emulates a car CD changer to the actual vehicle, so that the car's audio system can operate with it. If this is the case, what more can we do than customize the audio output and make the actual DMS's firmware better? Is it possible to display custom characters on your car stereo's display by tweaking your DMS?

Can someone open my eyes up to the awesome possibilities of tweaking my PhatNoise system? I'm a Linux guy myself so I'd love to start messing with it, but I want to know what I actually can and can't do with the thing. I appreciate any and all feedback to this post :)

Offline VorTechS

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
  • PhatHack Media Manager & DMS Tools Wizard Author
Re: Hacking PhatNoise: What's possible and what's not
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2009, 12:10:48 pm »
As a community we're still trying to crack open the safe method of uploading firmware so that we have a framework in place for writing our own.
I have no idea how far this is at the present time.  Then, the next phase would be a question of learning the relevant protocols and creating firmware to support them and newer head units.
Kenwood KDC-W7031 | Kenwood KHD-CX910 | 250GB DMS | PhatHack Media Manager v1.1.4 (Alpha) | VIOT

Catch me weekdays 8am-4pm GMT on IRC @ irc.freenode.net on channel #phathack (aka the chat link!!)