Author Topic: Phatbox issues help  (Read 6647 times)

Offline mobsTTA

Phatbox issues help
« on: September 04, 2009, 04:50:42 pm »
I have successfully hacked the phatbox in my Audi TT and installed a 160 GB hard drive.  I also have an A4 Avant that I have another 2 phatboxes for.  It appears that I haven't hacked the DMS for one of those successfully.  When I attach it to the TT cable the box isn't seen even with the original TT cartridge.

I also have a NOS phatbox that I don't want to screw up.  Should I  take the original TT 20 GB drive install it in the DMS cartridge and use this to hack the NOS box?

TIA

John

Offline mobsTTA

Re: Phatbox issues help
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2009, 09:35:07 pm »
Nevermind he said sheepishly.   ;D Now have three successfully hacked boxes with 2 160 GB drives.

Offline mdp

• A few posts under my belt.
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2009, 02:22:45 pm »
I read you post,

Is it possible to use different DMS's in one phatbox or do you have to keep them matched with the cartridge you preformed the hack with?
I am running a phatbox in my audi s-4 (my phatbox is going to be hacked any moment now)
Grtz mdp
Phatbox 160 gb used in Audi, now running on Samsung 850 evo mSata 250 gb ssd in idee to mSata converter

Offline Firefox

• Needs to get outside.
  • Kenwood 710 Keg 80GB ;-)
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2009, 01:42:27 pm »
As long as both DMS' have the same firmware and that matches the box it will be fine - i switch between 2 different DMS in my Keg all the time.

Offline Terry_Kennedy

• Veteran.
  • There and back again
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2009, 02:32:32 am »
As long as both DMS' have the same firmware and that matches the box it will be fine.

Actually, that doesn't really matter. The firmware that talks to the car head unit will only be updated if the "forceupdate" flag is set. On a regular DMS, that won't happen unless you use one of the DMS managers to put new firmware on the DMS.

All of the other files are backward compatible - just use whichever head unit version is newer. Normally, this doesn't matter either, but sometimes a newer firmware won't work properly with older system/player/daemon files.

You can probably ignore everything I said above and successfully swap DMS cartridges between different car types without any problem - I just figured I'd post the technical details in case anyone was interested.