Author Topic: DMS cartridge reformat utility?  (Read 5311 times)

Offline sage710

DMS cartridge reformat utility?
« on: December 12, 2009, 07:39:26 am »
I need to reformat my 40Gb DMS cartridge but the partitions are not showing up as options. I tried calling the customer service number and was told they have no information about my problem. According to the knowledge base online, updated in 2007, I need a special utility. But the utility isn't on the phatnoise.com site and the customer service people have no idea about what I need. Has anyone else had this problem? If so, anyone have a solution?

I am really starting to regret my decision to buy a car with this system. I don't want to buy the movies or games. I'd rather just be able to add the movies that I already own.

Thanks,

Offline Terry_Kennedy

• Veteran.
  • There and back again
Re: DMS cartridge reformat utility?
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2009, 08:22:32 am »
If so, anyone have a solution?

I am really starting to regret my decision to buy a car with this system. I don't want to buy the movies or games. I'd rather just be able to add the movies that I already own.

This sounds like you have the GM system, since you mention movies. I don't know much about that system, but I just wanted to post ASAP and suggest that you not reformat the DMS until one of the experts here replies - generic Windows tools can overwrite the magic signatures on the DMS and cause it to be rejected by the car system. For the normal add-on PhatBox audio system, there are people who can hack a box if you send it to them, but that may not apply to the GM system.

Offline sage710

« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2009, 06:13:42 am »
Yes, I do have a GM system, 2006 Saturn Relay. Of course, the Saturn people can't help, which I wasn't expecting them to be able to but at least they were able to get me some phone numbers. Thanks for the info.

Offline VorTechS

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
  • PhatHack Media Manager & DMS Tools Wizard Author
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2009, 08:19:46 am »
The DMS tools does support the GM system, and I believe some people have had success rebuilding a DMS.

Unfortunately I think the site knowledge of the GM system is very very thin, but you are welcome to try them!
As far as hacking goes from the drive side of things, I have no idea if the existing hack would work but would hazard a guess thatit wouldn't.
Kenwood KDC-W7031 | Kenwood KHD-CX910 | 250GB DMS | PhatHack Media Manager v1.1.4 (Alpha) | VIOT

Catch me weekdays 8am-4pm GMT on IRC @ irc.freenode.net on channel #phathack (aka the chat link!!)