Author Topic: VW Premium IV (Radio Type E)  No FFWD/REW?  (Read 4334 times)

Offline Steveo369

• A few posts under my belt.
VW Premium IV (Radio Type E)  No FFWD/REW?
« on: August 30, 2005, 03:53:12 am »
Anyone else with this HU?

I've got a 1999.5 VW Jetta (2000-2004 body style) with the Premium IV headunit (PB Radio Type E).

I can't seem to get the fwd/rew buttons to scan through an individual song or even respond when in PB mode.  These buttons work fine in Radio/tape mode, and worked previously when used with the CD changer.  The skip/rev buttons work fine for jumping from one track to the next, and the rest of the PB functions seem to work fine.

It's a (very) minor issue, but I'm just curious if this is common to anyone else, and/or if it's a firmware bug or what.

Offline jester69

Re: VW Premium IV (Radio Type E)  No FFWD/REW
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2005, 01:46:49 am »
That is what it does to me as well. It has me thinking about a kenwood deck... no ff & no CD text & no track time display is getting annoying.

Jester

Offline Steveo369

Re: VW Premium IV (Radio Type E)  No FFWD/REW?
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2005, 06:10:09 am »
Actually Jester, since my original post, I found out that by *holding* the track skip/reverse buttons, (not the FF/Rewind keys) you can FF/Rew within the current track on this HU.

Lack of text display would be nice, but retaining the stock stereo is preferred for me.  SSA navigation works very well for what it is, IMO.  Check out Phatvoice if you're interested in announcing track titles and tweaking the SSA system some.  (I got rid of the playlist title and genre announce, and changed my scan button announce to give me Track title, Artist and Album instead.)

Hope that helps!
-Steveo

Offline jester69

Re: VW Premium IV (Radio Type E)  No FFWD/REW
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2005, 04:39:10 pm »
*holding* the track skip/reverse buttons, (not the FF/Rewind keys) you can FF/Rew within the current track on this HU.

Thanks, that helps a lot!
Lack of text display would be nice, but retaining the stock stereo is preferred for me.  

Any particuar reason you prefer the stock unit? I have always liked it especially since it matches the dash so perfectly and sounds so nice, but the lengths I will have to go to to have both the pahtbox, a CD changer and Sirius at the same time are starting to make it less appealing. Also, having a subwoofer, I would prefer an actual line out and a subwoofer level control at the HU.

take care,

Jester

Offline Steveo369

Re: VW Premium IV (Radio Type E)  No FFWD/REW?
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2005, 07:00:46 pm »
I just prefer the stock stereo look.  The audio system of our Jetta isn't modified, and won't be.  

We park it on the street (no garage space), so putting an aftermarket stereo in it could make it more enticing for break-ins.

I can understand your frustration with multiple sources and the stock HU limitations.  If I were trying to do the same, I'd probably be looking at an aftermarket HU as well.  (At least the Jetta is a standard size unit, as opposed to the oversized/oddball Symphony stereo in my Audi A4! :-P)

The only other question I have back at you is why in the heck would you need all three sources?  The PB easily replaces the CD changer, hands down.  I can *almost* understand wanting SAT radio if you're into it, but a 20gb (or bigger if hacked) PB seems like it'd be plenty...

Subwoofer control isn't hard to have installed, and if it's properly crossed over and tapped to a line level converter, I'd guess you'd be hard pressed to notice a difference in sound quality.

Then again, if you're a hardcore audiophile, ignore my comments; replacing the stock system is about the only option at that point.

-Cheers,
Steveo