Author Topic: New Phatbox or keg in a 2005 civic  (Read 7750 times)

Offline damb

• A few posts under my belt.
New Phatbox or keg in a 2005 civic
« on: August 11, 2005, 02:36:36 pm »
Just wondering would it be possible to buy a phatbox or keg and flash it with the honda firmware
and adapt the cable so it fits the 12  or 14 pin connector on the honda factory uniy. I ask because I'm leasing and i don't want to buy the phatbox directly from phatnoise or put in a kenwood deck.
I think all i need is the pinout for both units factory deck(which is very hard to find but i think i could get a local car a/v shop to mod the cable or if i ever fing the the honda pinout for the cd changer I can get my buddy to mod the cable) and keg or phatbox pinout and firware which are both easy to find. Would this work.

Offline SteveC

• Getting the hang of things.
Re: New Phatbox or keg in a 2005 civic
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2005, 06:30:16 pm »
No, a Keg will not work in a Civic. They had to make some internal hardware changes to support Honda/Nissan/etc.

To the best of my knowledge, only the latest version of the Phatbox will work in a Honda. I have no idea if they have announced support for the 2005 civic or not.

Offline judb

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
  • ph4t l3wtz
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2005, 06:38:33 pm »
You may be able to use a keg if you get the FM modulator with it and go that route.  I'd suggest contacting phatnoise sales to see if they have a phatbox that works with your car..

Offline damb

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2005, 06:56:36 pm »
So what you are saying is that the honda phatbox is different than all other phatboxs or are all the new ones the same. I know where i can get a 05 vw model for a good price.

Plus I want to buy the 2006 civic for myself and give my girlfriend my 05, so maybe the fm modulator is the way to go for now and than buy a kenwood reciever as soon as i get my 06

Offline S80_UK

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran.
  • Volvo S80 D5 with VW Phatbox
    • Volvo Phatbox Installation
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2005, 10:12:20 pm »
Hi,

Actually, what we all could probably use is a clear indication of which PCB variants are used for which make of automobile or radio head unit.  (I am intersted  to know what is used for the Volvo Digital JUkebox offering).  But maybe this information is too sensitive to post publicly.

Regards,

Les.

Offline SteveC

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2005, 01:17:16 pm »
So what you are saying is that the honda phatbox is different than all other phatboxs or are all the new ones the same. I know where i can get a 05 vw model for a good price.

Plus I want to buy the 2006 civic for myself and give my girlfriend my 05, so maybe the fm modulator is the way to go for now and than buy a kenwood reciever as soon as i get my 06

What I am saying is that the last round of comatability came at the cost of PCB changes. I'm pretty sure that the VW phatboxes were an earlier revision, but that doesn't necessarily mean that a later production run of the VW box doesn't have the new PCB - I just don't know.

What I do know is that if you want to _know_ you are getting a Honda capable phatbox, then you need to buy from the Honda/Nissan/Toyota series.

Offline judb

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
  • ph4t l3wtz
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2005, 05:18:18 pm »
SteveC is spot on as usual..

Offline damb

« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2005, 05:19:02 pm »
THANKS MAN FOR THE INFO I THINK I'LL BUY A PHATBOX AND FLASH IT TO A KEG AND BUY A KENWOOD REVIEVER AND MAKE A CABLE WITH THE VW ONE I'LL GET WITH THE PAHTBOX. THIS WAY IT WILL WORK WITH MY 05 AND 06.

THIS WILL WORK RIGHT
HONDA ALWAYS TRYING TO SCREW YOU, GREAT CARS THOUGH.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2005, 12:30:30 pm by admin »

Offline damb

« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2005, 05:20:03 pm »
Sorry for yelling.

Offline judb

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
  • ph4t l3wtz
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2005, 05:30:39 pm »
If I understand your post, which I may not, the answer is yes.

If you plan on buying a vw phatbox and hooking it up to a kenwood head unit in your new car then yes you can do that.  you'll have to make your own cable to connect it or find one to order online.

Offline Genesis

• Bite Me
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2005, 03:49:36 am »
Yep - I have one of these in my boat - works fine.

Offline damb

« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2005, 11:56:23 am »
Ok another question for you pros out there. I just bought a VW Phatbox flashed it and made a cable(i think a baby could make one) with the parts I bought from a local electronics store and installed with my new EZ 500 HU. Eveything works perfect, but now I see the new 2006 civic(which I'm deadset on buying in a few months) and it has an intergrated cd player which looks like it will be very hard to put in an aftermarket Hu in it. Now it look like I will have to use a fm Modulator will the Vault work with the phatbox if so does the phatbox get it's power from the fm modulator. I noticed that the PB doesn't have a power input like the keg.

Offline skew

« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2005, 12:09:13 pm »
I'm not sure what a Vault is but you can use a Kenwood fm modulator on the phat box until they make a install kit for the new civic. You also can use sirius & the phatbox on the same fm controller.

BTW are you buying a hybrid civic or reg? I have a Prius and love it. Honda made alot of changes in the hybrid civic for 06' I read.

Offline damb

« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2005, 12:35:29 pm »
The Vault is the KCA-R70FM by Kenwood, and I was thinking about the Hybrid but they aren't making a coup version and that what i wan't maybe the SI 200 hp. You should see the 06 very classy you can even get navi on some models.

Sorry but what do you mean install kit i thought that some said above the the honda PB was different inside from the others or was that just for the 05 Civic. Do you mean a honda/kenwood interface. Do you have one installed on your factory unit.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2005, 12:47:02 pm by damb »

Offline shaun1

« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2005, 10:56:31 am »
I'm using the Metra kit to install a KW X-889 and my music Keg in a 2005 Accord. Close to factory but different
« Last Edit: August 27, 2005, 10:56:51 am by shaun1 »

Offline Triumphboy

« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2005, 08:26:45 pm »
Shaun1

Which Metra kit are you using as getting Accord as well and want to install my keg in car as well