Author Topic: Multiple Phatboxes/PB-Keg mix on one PC  (Read 5557 times)

Offline crunch13

• A few posts under my belt.
Multiple Phatboxes/PB-Keg mix on one PC
« on: August 22, 2005, 05:40:09 pm »
OK, I just got an Audi PB on ebay ~$150. I have upgraded the firmware and hacked the regisitry & .ini for song titles, etc. So now I am totally in love (it has been less than a week).  The unit came with Music Manager, now updated to v2.3.

The "official" version for my other car would be $799 (eeek!), so I am considering hacking a VW/audi box OR getting a Kenwood HU + Keg.

In any case, here are my Q's:

1. Are DMS's portable? Can I just plug and play my "audi DMS" into another PB or into a Keg? Are they serialized to the box? Will firmware/model differences be an issue?

2. If DMS's are not plug and play (or for other reasons you with them to contain different songs/data), how do you handle that on the PMM side? do you need to install PMM twice in different directories, etc?

3. Is anyone here running PB/Kegs in 2 or more (different) vehicles? How are you handling the issues, if any?

TIA
Crunch

Offline dafamous12

• Getting the hang of things.
  • Smurfin On 18 Wheels Across The U.S.A!!
Re: Multiple Phatboxes/PB-Keg mix on one PC
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2005, 03:51:15 am »
You can use your dms in any phatbox or keg. Just make sure that if you update the firmware on either box that you go into phtsys on the dms and make sure that forceupdate And forcesettings are removed so you don't "accidentally" flash the wrong box.

Offline judb

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
  • ph4t l3wtz
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2005, 02:23:52 pm »
Well, the main thing is once the correct code is on each box (flash updates from phatnoise that is) you really only have to worry about modifications to the phatbox.ini file as far as I know.

Also, theres already a thread on this subject, I really wish people would bother to search. :(  makes me a sad panda!

so you could have a phatbox-keg.ini and a phatbox-audi.ini for instance and just rename whichever one you'll be using to phatbox.ini .. but its a pain for the quick swap.

Your other option is to buy another 10 gig dms online, or buy the case from pacparts.com for a kenwood unit and get a drive for each phatbox.

Offline crunch13

• A few posts under my belt.
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2005, 02:32:31 pm »
Lets assume a DMS for each phatbox/keg.

will the PMM support this?

I did try searching, BTW :(

Offline judb

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
  • ph4t l3wtz