Author Topic: Anyway of modding the USB 1 Cradle into USB 2?  (Read 6953 times)

Offline John1981

• A few posts under my belt.
  • PhatLoner
Anyway of modding the USB 1 Cradle into USB 2?
« on: July 22, 2006, 12:45:02 pm »
Hey Guys,

Just wondered if it was possible to mod the cradle from USB 1 to USB 2. I have a spare external laptop hard drive caddy that is usb 2.0. Do you recon it would be simple to pull out the existing board from the cradle and fit in another?

What do you think?

John

Offline judb

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
  • ph4t l3wtz
Re: Anyway of modding the USB 1 Cradle into USB 2?
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2006, 01:23:13 pm »
i am pretty sure it could be done if you wanted to solider a bunch of stuff together but it would be an ugly hack.

Offline sbingner

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2006, 06:49:01 pm »
I haven't ripped apart the phatnoise cradle, depends on how they did it... but yea would probably be ugly

It could be simple if they just have a laptop interface with an adaptor in the cradle

Offline judb

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
  • ph4t l3wtz
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2006, 10:37:20 pm »
sadly, no, they have a custom made pcb with the USB to IDE converter chip and the ide pins get routed directly to the DMS connector format ... you would have to remove that connector and modify a USB 2.0 hard drive enclosure I would guess.

If we could find out what the connector name / part number is we could perhaps make some using laptop IDE connectors to plug into existing USB drive enclosures and figure out how to make it stable enough for repeated use.

Offline markbowen

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran.
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2006, 11:26:10 am »
As an alternative, you can take apart the DMS, put its HDD in the laptop caddy, and transfer music that way.  PMM will recognize the drive as a DMS.  You will get an error message that it cannot eject the drive when finishing, but it works.  Not something you'll want to do every day, but if you have 60GB of music ready to transfer, it's definitely better to do it this way than in the cradle at 1.1 speeds (and better than shelling out $60 or more for a USB2 cradle).
Kenwood DNX7200/Kenwood KHD-C710 Keg/320GB DMS