Author Topic: Copying MP3 to DMS cartridge NOT using PhatNoise Music Manager  (Read 18590 times)

Offline WebSurfinMurf

• PhatHacker
I read about Phat4X, and some other threads about people writing their own apps for copying Mp3 to the PhatBox.

Do any of them work well? If so, any for Windows or Linux only.

I find the Phatnoise MM buggy at best, looking for a better way.
Ideally, I'd like to just copy over to the drive using normal copy, and run a program to index the files when I am done.

Offline S80_UK

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran.
  • Volvo S80 D5 with VW Phatbox
    • Volvo Phatbox Installation
Re: Copying MP3 to DMS cartridge NOT using PhatNoise Music Manager
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2007, 01:25:20 pm »
Well, this is what the Phathack Media Manager project is for - as an alternative to the Phatnoise software.  It's not complete yet - the author is concentrating on getting it robust before allowing it to touch real data on user's DMS cartridges, but it's looking very imressive.

See this part of the forum for info

http://forum.phathack.com/index.php/board,4.0.html

Offline SCOTTIE0854

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2007, 08:36:07 am »
 :) ;) 8)

WHAT WAS THE END RESULT OF THE MPE AnD THE PHATBOX...........................I HAD THE SAME PROBLEM.

Offline VorTechS

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
  • PhatHack Media Manager & DMS Tools Wizard Author
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2007, 08:54:17 am »
Take a look at www.phathackmm.com for the latest details of PhatHack Media Manager.
I'm looking to do an update here on Friday with the next release.
Kenwood KDC-W7031 | Kenwood KHD-CX910 | 250GB DMS | PhatHack Media Manager v1.1.4 (Alpha) | VIOT

Catch me weekdays 8am-4pm GMT on IRC @ irc.freenode.net on channel #phathack (aka the chat link!!)

Offline UGC

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2007, 05:48:40 am »
VorTechS>

Do you have some kind of manual for that software PhathackMM?

I know the music keg is older technology, but believe it or not, I just got mine. I am very new to using it.

What I have been able to do so far is run the code on the keg to allow me to use any hard drive. That worked. I have just started playing around with the software that came with it and have music playing and displaying on my head unit correctly. I figured out that every song has to be in a playlist, it doesn't work like a USB drive :(    Where I could just make a folder and drag/drop what I wanted using windows explorer.

With your software, can I use windows explorer to copy over my mp3's directly to the DMS? Will it accept playlist from winamp? I tried using it (PhathackMM), but I don't know how it is suppose to work exactly. I went through your site, and did not see any type of manual or instructions.

Could you give me few startup steps, and I could figure out the rest. I feel like a noob, but fact is.....I am. lol

Offline VorTechS

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2007, 07:43:25 am »
There's no manual because I'm constantly changing it, quite often with some major back-end changes and more recently I'm looking at heavy GUI changes.

You can import WinAMP playlists, and the best way of doing this is to use the 'Watch Folder' functionality.  Unlike importing, watch folders deep scans the selected folder and imports any WinAMP or Media Player playlists.  (Importing only imports files, and auto-assigns playlists using the ID3 tag info)

To add a watch folder, right click on 'Local Disks' and choose 'Add Watch Folder'.  Then select the folder you want to deep scan and the rest will be done for you.  Well, assuming there are no bugs in that functionality anyway - I haven't tested it since it was originally written a long time ago. :)

Whatever you do though, be careful NOT to use any 'Delete' functionality.  I know there are problems with the options screen persistence of the 'delete setting' and I'd hate anyone to lose files as a result.  If you need to remove a playlist for some reason, then simply locate the PBX file associated with the playlist (it will have the same name on non-DMS disks) and delete that.

If you run into any problems, feel free to report them :)
Kenwood KDC-W7031 | Kenwood KHD-CX910 | 250GB DMS | PhatHack Media Manager v1.1.4 (Alpha) | VIOT

Catch me weekdays 8am-4pm GMT on IRC @ irc.freenode.net on channel #phathack (aka the chat link!!)

Offline VorTechS

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2008, 04:05:26 pm »
VorTechS>
With your software, can I use windows explorer to copy over my mp3's directly to the DMS? Will it accept playlist from winamp? I tried using it (PhathackMM), but I don't know how it is suppose to work exactly. I went through your site, and did not see any type of manual or instructions.

I have now added a facility into PhatHack Media Manager to allow you to drag and drop files outside of the application onto the DMS and import them to the PhatBox database in the latest version, v0.8f. 

All database files, Playlist files, M3u files and TTS files will be generated in the process.

Offline psp9218

« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2011, 11:27:56 pm »
I have now added a facility into PhatHack Media Manager to allow you to drag and drop files outside of the application onto the DMS and import them to the PhatBox database in the latest version, v0.8f. 

All database files, Playlist files, M3u files and TTS files will be generated in the process.

VorTechS - is there a way that I mount the file system from an ubuntu linux live boot since I don't have a cradle and install the hard drive into a laptop and share the drive on windows and us PhatHack Media Manager to update the list and database files? So I have a laptop with my PhatNoise hard drive installed and started the laptop via bootable usb drive with Linux Live boot installed and shared the drive to Windows XP PC with PhatHack Media Manager but I can't seem to get PHMM to see the drives. is there a way i can force it to go to the network path?
I was able to copy all the songs from my pc to PHTDTA\My Music folder.. but songs don't play right..
Thanks for your help.. I am trying to get an external caddy case but mean time I want to be able install the songs from my pc to hard drive.

Offline VorTechS

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2011, 07:31:53 am »
You can add a 'Watch Folder' in PhatHackMM, and point it to your network share using the '\\machine\share' method.
Then you'll be able to use this music source to transfer media to your DMS.  Also, you would be better off doing this with the beta software and not v0.9c as there were quite a few network share related issues fixed since 0.9c! :)

If you need more detailed instructions, let me know.