Author Topic: Phatbox hacking help - Just wont work -Help please  (Read 14356 times)

Offline bazmk2

• A few posts under my belt.
Re: Phatbox hacking help - Just wont work -Help pl
« Reply #20 on: September 17, 2005, 09:24:55 pm »
Are you guys sure you don't want the insides of the thing?

Offline judb

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
  • ph4t l3wtz
« Reply #21 on: September 18, 2005, 03:40:37 pm »
I have a Excelon Keg, not anything fancy.

The chip id I have and the one on the wiki are SST vs AMD brand chips, but they both respond.

The issue is a kernel related issue... The kernel generates an oops message (panic).  Normally this happens after a few blocks are programmed, like in my log.  I didn't realise that it was going to do that and Sam informed me that I just needed to run it a few times until all 7 items were fixed.  Sometimes the programming job just eats up a bunch of CPU cycles instead of crashing the box (this causes stuttery playback of other songs)

This was all pre scripted mode, pre CD building.  After I got my box patched up then we started building the CD image.  

I don't know why this box wont program the first block.  I don't know what else to suggest... I didn't write the flash update utility and Sbinger / Bushing (the fellas who nailed that code down) haven't turned up in a few days.

As for the disk corruption, thats easy to explain... when the kernel oops occurs the phatbox does not shut down properly and was writing data to the log files we use, this can create filesystem corruption due to the filesystem not being unmounted properly.  Usually a chkdsk will fix the issues but some people need to format due to either major issues or not understanding how to use chkdsk properly.

« Last Edit: September 18, 2005, 03:42:09 pm by judb »

Offline A543

• Veteran.
« Reply #22 on: September 18, 2005, 08:48:45 pm »
judb thanks for the explainations. Without access to the code I could only guess that if the patch was attempting to write to the logs right before performing the programming, that could account for a problem like this.  Also, I looked again at the chip ID page http://wiki.phathack.com/Hardware_FAQ  and I couldn't find your chip based on the ID given in your log that I linked to above.

Offline bazmk2

• A few posts under my belt.
« Reply #23 on: September 21, 2005, 07:15:31 pm »
I have fixed it

Bought a new box  ;D

is now flashed, had the ramdisk.sig prob but sorted now

80 Gb installed

Now Before I sell this on E-bay (hopefully for more than I paid eh) does anyone want some pictures or even the box for R&D  (I paid 50GBP for the box an an audi cable anything sensible for the box only and I'll sell the cable seperately)

Very happy Thanks