Author Topic: Phatbox with 2006 BMW  (Read 6904 times)

Offline uofmtiger

Phatbox with 2006 BMW
« on: September 20, 2005, 02:18:33 am »
I am getting ready to switch to the 2006 BMW 330i.  How do I get the BMW Phatbox that I was using on my 2002 325 with the new car?  

Nice to see some of the same names over here!   :)

Offline Terry_Kennedy

• Veteran.
  • There and back again
Re: Phatbox with 2006 BMW
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2005, 08:48:51 am »
I am getting ready to switch to the 2006 BMW 330i.  How do I get the BMW Phatbox that I was using on my 2002 325 with the new car?

At the moment, you don't :(

The new BMWs are all MOST-bus (fiber optic) and the adapter for the PhatBox is i-bus only. Your best bet is to hope that Blitzsafe comes out with a MOST version of their Alpine adapter (which is what the PhatNoise adapter for BMWs is). Note that any non-PhatNoise adapter of this type will need to be reconfigured for 5V signalling instead of the 12V Alpine defualt or you'll damage the PhatBox.

Offline uofmtiger

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2005, 03:32:46 pm »
Terry,

I have been told that I can change the Phatbox to a music keg by changing software. Then I could buy a Kenwood KCR-R71FM and a Kenwood cable ( KHD-5L1).   Do you think this would work?  I am guessing I can plug the aux out of the KCR-R71 into the aux input in the console.

I guess I could wait and see if someone comes out with an adapter.  That would be the best setup and I would really hate loosing the steering wheel controls with the Keg setup.

BTW Thanks for all your work on this product.  I have used the track naming program for a long time and love it!

Offline Terry_Kennedy

• Veteran.
  • There and back again
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2005, 07:09:36 pm »
I have been told that I can change the Phatbox to a music keg by changing software. Then I could buy a Kenwood KCR-R71FM and a Kenwood cable ( KHD-5L1).   Do you think this would work?  I am guessing I can plug the aux out of the KCR-R71 into the aux input in the console.

Yes, that would work. You'll need to find someplace to stash the control panel for the FM where you can work the keg (some people use the ashtray or sunglass holder). If you want audio announcements, you'll need the VIOT plugin (the Kenwood version doesn't do the SSA you're used to).
BTW Thanks for all your work on this product.  I have used the track naming program for a long time and love it!

Thanks!

Offline uofmtiger

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2005, 09:33:51 pm »
Thanks again! :)

Offline uofmtiger

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2005, 05:14:42 pm »
I now have the KCA-R71FM and I am waiting on the KHD-5L1 to make it work with my Phatbox.  

I am trying to figure out where I am going to mount the control display.  The ashtray seems too small and I am not sure it (with the lighter) can be removed from the console.  There is no sunglass holder, either.  I am guessing the best place to mount it would be up by the rearview mirror (using a pro.fit bug).   The main issue is that the wire that connects the display to the FM Modulator unit is too short to put the main unit under my seat.  

Do they sell a (male to female) wire that can be used to lengthen it?   ???

Offline sbingner

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2005, 11:02:40 pm »
I don't know but you'd just need an extension cable for a Kenwood Changer

Offline uofmtiger

« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2005, 01:54:58 am »
The display has a cable with some sort of 8 pin connector:

It is shaped like an svideo connector.  I may have to mount it on my dash if I cannot get an extender of some kind.  Either that or I am going to need to mount the fm modulator unit that connects between the display and the Phatbox in the footwell...I guess I can put it on the passenger side if I have to.