Author Topic: Can I Reboot My Phatbox by Removing the HU Fuse??  (Read 4643 times)

Offline NS

• A few posts under my belt.
Can I Reboot My Phatbox by Removing the HU Fuse??
« on: October 27, 2005, 12:48:50 pm »
I'm about to hack my Phatbox, but i'm aware that some people have had the "No CD" message on their head unit once hacked & have had to reboot the Phatbox by removing & reconnecting the cable.

The Phatbox in my Audi TT is located behind a rear trim panel (cd changer location) with a flap to access the DMS. For me to have to disconnect the cable is a fairly major job, as i have to remove the panel from the inside of the car (a real b!tch of a job).

Will me pulling the head unit fuse out of the fuse box, have the same effect has removing the cable from the rear of the Phatbox & reboot my unit to clear the "No CD" message??

I just want to find out if i'm in for another weekend wrestling with the panels inside my car. I also haven't got any radio removal keys, so I cant disconnect the lead at the head unit.

Any advice would be helpful.

Thanks.

Offline A543

• Veteran.
Re: Can I Reboot My Phatbox by Removing the HU Fus
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2005, 03:24:55 pm »
Most head units have two sources of power. One that is switched on and off by the ignition, and one that is on all the time, even with the key out, to hold the radio presets and settings. I believe that the Phatboxes get their power from the latter. If your Phatbox doesn't use an extra power connector (it's hooked up with only the one thick cable) and you can be sure that you've killed both sources of power to your headunit, then that should be the same as unplugging the cable from the Phatbox. You will lose all of your head units settings though.

Offline NS

• A few posts under my belt.
Re: Can I Reboot My Phatbox by Removing the HU Fus
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2005, 04:44:15 pm »
Thanks for the post.
Yes my Phatbox has only the one cable in the back of it, so i should be ok rebooting it with the fuse.