Author Topic: Hack CD and VW boxes  (Read 12915 times)

Offline judb

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
  • ph4t l3wtz
Hack CD and VW boxes
« on: November 07, 2005, 06:20:23 am »
Okay guys, I want to make an update to the Hack CD to fix the issues the VW / Audi people have but I need a NON hacked VW box and a 20 gig DMS to toy with.

Does anyone have access to this in Texas?  I live in the greater Austin area but do travel a lot so I could pick it up and or return it without worrying about shipping costs.

I don't have the $$$ to buy one for myself just to test this as I already bought two extra kegs to work on this project before we got the hack working along with an FM modulator to hook up in my computer room for testing outside the car.

Anyhow, please let me know if you have any thoughts on the subject as well as any suggestions for improvements to the hack cd.

I am tempted to go to a CD only or multi boot disk format in order to add addtional features.  Like more hardware support (like perhaps network support to download firmware updates from the web so you don't have to use PMM at all to "repair" or hack your DMS drives.)  But I'd like to know if this would be a useful feature before spending any time on it.

Perhaps the linux DMS tools for playlist update / rebuilding?

Thanks everyone.

Offline judb

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
  • ph4t l3wtz
Re: Hack CD and VW boxes
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2005, 06:22:34 am »
another idea I had was to peice together the latest files for the DMS drives and the HU specific files in seperate zip files and put them all on the CD, but that could be sizeable download wise and I only have about 65 gigs a month in transfer so I may need several mirrors to do that if we think it would be a good idea.  

Also I am not sure of the potential legal ramifications of putting those files on a CD for download.

Offline sbingner

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2005, 06:30:31 am »
I don't think putting the firmware on the disk would be a good idea, but the ability to pull it from phatnoise might be usefuk, until of course they break that ;)

If anybody has one in Hawaii I could look at your VW box and we could get it fixed as well, but that's probably pusing it...

Other posibility if you want to make it fit on a floppy is adding the parts that won't fit to downloads.phathack.com and have it pull it dynamically

Offline judb

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
  • ph4t l3wtz
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2005, 01:15:25 pm »
we dont have space on the floppy for expanding the kernel so we'll have to go to two diskettes just to add network driver / ip support, much less adding tools.  So either way we are up a creek if we keep the floppy disk mode.

Offline A543

• Veteran.
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2005, 04:30:56 pm »
My 0.1 cent. Keep the floppy version that's around now just for hacking boxes, but don't make more work for yourself by updating it.  I would think anyone who has the mindset to own a phatbox most likely has access to a CD burner, and if not, it's time they did.   If you were looking for a second medium, maybe make an image that could be booted from a flash drive.
I do like the idea of packing as much stuff on the CD as possible.

Offline dbass

« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2005, 07:31:26 pm »
Doh! I just tried to hack mine this weekend and got the Loading...Loading...Loading...Eject message! I ended up putting the old 20GB DMS back together and it works again.  Sorry.

Offline Slack

• A few posts under my belt.
  • Subgenius Unite!
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2005, 02:40:23 am »
I have an original 20gig Audi disk you can have.

You've got PM.

Offline judb

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
  • ph4t l3wtz
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2005, 05:03:40 am »
You have a reply!  thanks!

Offline abs

• PhatHacker
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2005, 09:55:44 pm »
judb - I am about to buy a new phatnoise for my Audi - the very first thing I want to do is to upgrade the drive since 20GB is nowhere near large enough for my needs.

If you are nearly ready with an updated .iso I would be happy to help test it or if you require anything from me I would be happy to provide it to you.  It does seem that a lot of Audi/VW folks have had issues and a modified hack cd would be really great.

Regards,

Andrew

Offline judb

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
  • ph4t l3wtz
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2005, 03:12:28 am »
What I need is an Audi DMS (which someone on the forums offered to send but never followed through on that) and even better an Audi phatbox or VW DMS and phatbox to test with.  I don't know what is wrong with the ISO to fix it, but to be honest I haven't looked at it in quite a while either because I have no effective way of testing it out.

If you want to be a test bed for me then that may be helpful... we can schedule a time one day over the holidays to toy around with it perhaps.

Offline sbingner

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2005, 07:43:07 pm »
I should have one within the next couple days, and should be able to figure out the problem then... and I can send you an image of the blank DMS

Offline abs

• PhatHacker
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2006, 06:49:09 pm »
Just wondering how the fixes for the Audi hacks were coming?  Due to some delays outside of my control my Phatnoise was only ordered today - I should have it in the week and I am still willing to help out in whatever way is needed.

Offline sbingner

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2006, 07:27:56 pm »
I haven't tried flashing one of them yet, I've been busy with other stuff so far

Offline Pinky

« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2006, 11:38:47 pm »
What I need is an Audi DMS (which someone on the forums offered to send but never followed through on that) and even better an Audi phatbox or VW DMS and phatbox to test with.  I don't know what is wrong with the ISO to fix it, but to be honest I haven't looked at it in quite a while either because I have no effective way of testing it out.

Jdub, did you ever find a VW Phatbox to mess around with?  I live in Dallas and have had trouble patching my VW Phatbox in the past.  I could let you borrow it for a month or so in exchange for returning it hacked with the 120GB hard drive I've already purchased...  Email me if you're interested.

Offline judb

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
  • ph4t l3wtz
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2006, 07:21:44 pm »
I'll email you tonight if I have time.  Work has been whoopin my butt so I haven't had much time to surf when I get home.  

Thanks!

Offline Pinky

« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2006, 02:02:29 am »
Any news, jdub?  I tried the CD from scratch tonight, but I get the "Software Load Failed" error when it tries the "Write Flash Code to the DMS" step.  (error code 4)  I may go in search of the manual mode again tonight, but since it didn't work the first few times, I don't feel lucky.

Offline judb

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
  • ph4t l3wtz
« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2006, 02:26:36 am »
Did you get my email?

I have a buddy up in Dallas that I might be able to hook you up with.. he might be able to help... otherwise if you send it to me I'll fix it up for you and could use it to test an updated CD image on.

Offline dark_gable21

• PhatHacker
« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2006, 07:25:02 pm »
Hey, Did you ever get a VW Phatbox to try?

Offline judb

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
  • ph4t l3wtz
« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2006, 02:29:00 am »
No I haven't ... someone could send me one to test with but I have several phatboxes already so I don't need another one.  

Offline Pinky

« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2006, 02:56:56 am »
Just saw this thread again.  I never got an email, Jdub.  If you think you could upgrade mine and it would be helpful to other people in getting a working CD for the VWs, I'm still willing to send mine.  Try sending me another email or PM.