Author Topic: Music Keg cable to Phatnoise wiring diagram.....  (Read 5362 times)

Offline mrudell2

• PhatHacker
Music Keg cable to Phatnoise wiring diagram.....
« on: November 30, 2005, 10:27:37 pm »
Hi all,
  I've picked up a Kenwood headunit along with a Music keg cable that Best Buy had in the back!! They charged me $39.99 for it, which is a steal!! Now just to make sure I have the right one, the Music Keg cable has 2 round ends on it that look exactly the same and one plugs into the Keg and the other the back of the headunit? If so, I've got the right one. Now the only thing I need then is a diagram of what wires I have to splice together, since I must cut the one round end off and put it with the connector already on the VW Phatnoise. Does anyone know of a diagram that I can get??

Offline mrudell2

• PhatHacker
Re: Music Keg cable to Phatnoise wiring diagram...
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2005, 03:49:59 am »
OK I found a wiring diagram, but after I was done, I didn't use all of the wires on the music keg cable, such as pin 3, 5, 9, and 13. Am I correct that we don't need these ones? Does someone have a list of the colors and which color goes to which for each?

Offline mrudell2

• PhatHacker
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2005, 05:30:52 am »
Now another question: I thought I hooked it up correctly, but I'm cut off one end of the music keg cable and spliced in the adapter cable that came with the VW Phatnoise, but it's using only 9 of the wires. To clarify just in case you don't understand, I took the Phatnoise to VW Cable and cut the end off that goes to the stock changer connector. I then cut off one of the ends of the music keg cable and spliced the 2 together, but I didn't use all of the wires, which were named in the pervious post. Will this work or do I need to get another 26-pin connector and start from scratch? If so, where can I get one? Or can I somehow reuse the one I have now?

Offline LloydDobler

• Getting the hang of things.
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2005, 10:56:03 pm »
Jeez dude, there are three other threads with the exact answers to your questions.  Read more, post less.

That said, no your cable won't work, Yes, pins 3,5,9, and 13 ALL need to be hooked up to connections on the phatbox, and the kenwood cable uses completely different pins on the phatbox connector than the VW cable uses, so you can't splice them.

This page has correct diagrams as well as info on where to get the connector.  You can split the backshell off the VW phatbox connector and resolder it but it's harder to reassemble in a way that actually works.

http://www.bingner.com/phatnoise/pinouts.html
« Last Edit: December 01, 2005, 10:56:47 pm by LloydDobler »

Offline mrudell2

• PhatHacker
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2005, 04:47:01 am »
Actually, I have read a lot on this. I was under the impression, as with a few others on here, that the VW cable could be used. I read the posts after the people asked if the VW Cable could be reused and no one gave a straight answer. I tried splitting the connector to resolder it, but I could only get the outer shell off of it and couldn't actually get to the pins, so I just ordered a new one. I appreciate your help, though. Thanks!!

Offline LloydDobler

• Getting the hang of things.
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2005, 05:56:30 pm »
I could only get the outer shell off of it and couldn't actually get to the pins, so I just ordered a new one.

Just in case you need to still use the connector in the future, that white crap is just wax potting for the wires.  You can melt it out with a heat gun or just pick it off carefully with an exacto knife.  You have to desolder all the old wires anyway, so cutting them isn't a big deal as long as you don't bend the pin solder points.