Author Topic: Ghost - or other imaging software  (Read 5141 times)

Offline dpfalls

Ghost - or other imaging software
« on: October 28, 2005, 08:33:59 am »
Would it work to simply use Norton ghost and 'Ghost' the old drive over to the new, larger drive? -
« Last Edit: December 02, 2005, 11:11:22 pm by judb »

Offline hankoll

Re: Ghost
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2005, 04:08:50 pm »
nope
There is a signature file on the first 1MB of the drive that references the drive serial number.

Well, let me clarify, Ghost would work if your box is already hacked.  But, what would be the point of doing all that when you have a nifty boot CD that makes new DMS cartridges?

Offline underground

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2005, 07:45:24 pm »
But......to use the boot CD don't you have to have the original drive?
If you dont have the original drive anymore, then wouldnt using an image be the only way?

Offline judb

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
  • ph4t l3wtz
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2005, 11:10:32 pm »
No.

If you have not already hacked your phatbox / keg with a VALID ORIGINAL WORKING HAPPY GOOD DMS from Phatnoise and KNOW it's hacked..  there is no amount of work you can do that will make a new DMS currently.  Until someone writes a tool that makes valid signatures for the private area of the drives like on a real DMS you have to use a seed DMS to make it work.

Worse yet, using Ghost / Partition Magic / Insert other imaging software, will not copy the hidden signature unless its a block for block level copy of the whole drive, ignornig the partitions and everything else.

I have said this in at least a half dozen threads.. I expect that people are not using the search feature properly again.