Author Topic: How do I format and start all over?  (Read 5059 times)

Offline Rude Man

• PhatHacker
How do I format and start all over?
« on: December 06, 2005, 05:07:43 pm »
Hi there
I am quite new to this forum and also to the PB.
Mine is for a VW.
I have been having a problem with the voice recognitionnot installing to announce the files and also the unit in the car telling me that some tracks are corrupt. BUt they seem to play OK.

Last night I removed all music files and started loading up again.
When it was done and I wanted to install the voice it comes up with this message. "Voice install fail".

What I want to do is start totally all over as if the drive never had anything on it.
How do I do that?
I can low level format my regular HDD, Fdisk it and then do a regular format. But I do not think any of these are the way to go.

Please can someone tell me how to start fresh all over?  Just as if the cartridge just came out of the box. I had downloaded and installed all the updates, firmware etc.

Thx

Offline judb

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
  • ph4t l3wtz
Re: How do I format and start all over?
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2005, 08:48:12 pm »
you can format the DMS partitions fat32 using the phatnoise recovery CD or the hack cd also has the options to do that.

However you say "Voice Install Fail" but you dont say where you get that message.

Is this when you are updating PMM or Natural Voices?  This would be your local PC, not the DMS that is the issue perhaps.

Offline Rude Man

• PhatHacker
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2005, 02:58:40 am »
Maybe I do not use the right terminology. After I have gone through loading all the music files what is the next step I need to take?
Just click on save and eject and the voices load automatically? Do I have to use the Disc Wizard before that? The Sync DMS? The Hardware Options? Or just click on save and eject and it does all the rest automatically.
I had used the Hardware options button and selected "Fix voice prompts" then it goes through a check list and comes up with this message " creating voice prompts" it checks a tune and comes up with this message box'  Phatman' "Speak failed" with a triangle caution/warning sign next to it.

My PC has all the voice options installed, I can use a microphone for voice dictation and all that so it should not be my PC I think.

Offline A543

• Veteran.
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2005, 03:05:23 pm »
I can use a microphone for voice dictation

This is speech to text.  What you need to have is text to speech. In Control Panel, open up Speech and click on the Text to Speech tab. Select a voice from the dropdown list and then click on the Preview Voice button to test your setup. You should hear the text in the window spoken aloud. Let us know how it goes.

Offline Rude Man

• PhatHacker
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2005, 04:12:42 pm »
A543 Thanks for the reply

Checked it in Control panel and it was all set for "Anna US English" already. Clicked on the preview voice and it read the text without any problem.

I also downloaded the Phatvoice from this site, installed it and ran it after I installed new music files on the DMS. It went right through the whole process and seemed to successfully install the voice. But when I clicked on the Phatbox Music manager to eject the DMS it went through a cycle and kept telling me once again voice could not be installed. It is very frustrating.

I may be wrong, but I may have to start with a reformatted DMS. Someone said to use the recovery CD which came with the PB, but I never did get one. It also is not listed on the items included with PB.

I did download the Hack ISO and burned it to a CD, Linux came up and it only let me do a cleanup, not a format and nothing else.

I am using WinXP Pro. so I am also using NTFS but I assume if I were to format the DMS I could set it to format in FAT32 using Windows to do so.

Offline Rude Man

• PhatHacker
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2005, 11:38:19 pm »
Well after I went through all that rigamaroo I put the DMS back into the car and it works fine, does not give voice announcements for everything, but for some it does.
So at least I have music playing.

Offline A543

• Veteran.
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2005, 05:57:47 pm »
PMM is the program trying to generate the voices so you might have a bad installation of PMM.  Maybe uninstall it and then reinstall it?  You might be able to get around solving that problem by just letting PhatVoice generate your voice prompts. You will get much better output if you set PhatVoice to use your speech engines native sample rate and then resample that output using a third party program. There are many threads here that go deeper into doing that.