Author Topic: Successfully hacked my Audi box  (Read 6945 times)

Offline amb

• Getting the hang of things.
Successfully hacked my Audi box
« on: December 09, 2005, 09:00:40 pm »
Got a 80GB Hitachi Travelstar 5400rpm laptop drive from ebay for a good deal, so I went for it.  FYI this is for an Audi Phatbox connected to a Symphony HU.

The hack process was not without problems though, see below.

I used the Hack/repair CD ISO v1.5 downloaded from judb's folder at the download area.  This CD booted fine and I went through the procedures documented in the wiki to patch the original 20gb DMS, and this went without any errors.  When I loaded this DMS into the car, it started up and began playing music.  I played the first several playlists and they all played music. I didn't hear a voice prompt telling me that the hack was done.  At any rate, the docs seem to say that this is normal, so I just assumed that all went well.

Then, I swapped to the new 80gb drive in the DMS and set it up while still booted on the hack/repair CD (according to the wiki). This also went without apparent error.  I rebooted into windows and resync'ed/saved the music onto it via PMM.  But, after putting the new DMS in the car, it did not want to play.  The green LED on the box blinks a bunch of times, and the radio switches out of CD mode.  The box continues to blink its lights until I powered off the radio.

Searching through the forum I came across the post by Genesis about VW/Audi boxes (in this thread).  Thinking that perhaps I had the same problem, so I went ahead did what he recommended.  This means starting from scratch again on the new DMS and re-syncing with PMM, etc.  Still, the resultant new DMS didn't work on the phatbox (same symptoms as before).

I put back the old drive into the DMS and began examining the contents, and it became apparent that the firmware hack did not occur.  The flacplay program was replaced with the hack script, but the p0.* files did not get copied over to the appropriate place in the phtdata\Profiles\Default directory.  There were also no log files showing any evidence that the hack procedure actually ran.  I think there is a bug somewhere on the hack/repair v1.5 CD that caused this problem.

I manually copied the p0.* files from the backup directory into the phtdta\Profiles\Default directory, and redid the patch on the phatbox.  This time, the patch worked, but I still didn't hear a voice announcement about its completion.  I examined the patch log files on the disc after the patch, and they indicate that the patch did occur (albeit with lots of "unverified" messages, probably normal).

Swapping the new 80gb disc back into the DMS once more, it worked.  Since rebuilding the new DMS using Genesis's instructions causes everything on it to be initialized from scratch, all the customizations in my various .ini files were lost and the voice prompts reverted to the PMM-generated ones rather than the ones from PhatVoice.  Also, I was getting "Corrupt track"  announcements when I hit "Scan" to have it tell me what I'm listening to.  It turns out that PMM did not generate the phtsys\tts\title.mp3 file which is needed for this function.

So, I swapped back to the original 20gb drive again to retrieve my old .ini files and the missing title.mp3 file, and then swapped yet again to the new drive to restore them.  I also deleted all phtdta\tts\*.wav files and re-ran PhatVoice to regenerate my voice prompts.  I then rebooted to Linux and ran my phatsort script (see this thread about it) to fix the various artists sorting problem.

Finally, everything is now good.  :)
« Last Edit: December 09, 2005, 09:07:13 pm by amb »

Offline amb

Re: Successfully hacked my Audi box
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2006, 11:42:29 am »
Ack!!!

After using my "new" hacked Audi box and 80GB Hitachi Travelstar disk for about a month, it died a horrible death this past weekend.  I was driving and listening to the phatbox, and in the middle of a song the music suddenly stopped.  And then after a bit of a pause the radio switched itself to FM radio mode.  Hmm.  I tried reseating the DMS and the cable, no luck.

Plugging the DMS into the cradle on the PC and running chkdsk reveals that most of the blocks on the PHTDTA partition had gone bad.  Reformatting with bad block scanning enabled yielded a partition with no free space!  Yikes.

Time to get another drive... I now have much more music than the original 20GB disk will hold... sob.

Offline S80_UK

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran.
  • Volvo S80 D5 with VW Phatbox
    • Volvo Phatbox Installation
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2006, 05:26:41 pm »
Sheesh... that sounds bad.  Hope you didn't pay too much for the Hitachi drive.  

I am running with a Western Digital Scorpio 80 at the moment (installed 4 weeks ago).  Seems like a nice drive, also runs very cool and has quite good specs in terms of being quite rugged (according to WD anyway).

Let us know what you replace the Hitachi with.

Regards,

Les.

Offline judb

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
  • ph4t l3wtz
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2006, 11:35:33 pm »
be sure to send the hitachi in for repair..

as for the hack and repair cd.. it now uses the profile.ini in the phtdta\profiles directory for the startup sound instead of the playlist method.

perhaps the audi / vw firmware doesn't look in that file for that entry?  hmmm.

Offline amb

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2006, 08:05:02 am »
OK, I have just replaced the drive with a WD Scorpio WD800HE 80GB unit and it's up and running again.  The Hitachi that went bad was a used unit I bought as-is with no warranty, so I am SOL and cannot return it.  I risked a cheap deal but I guess you get what you pay for...  ::)

as for the hack and repair cd.. it now uses the profile.ini in the phtdta\profiles directory for the startup sound instead of the playlist method.

perhaps the audi / vw firmware doesn't look in that file for that entry?  hmmm.

The startup_sound normally does work on the Audi box... I pointed it to a modified version of the "welcome to phatnoise" file and it plays it just fine when I turn it on.

Offline S80_UK

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran.
  • Volvo S80 D5 with VW Phatbox
    • Volvo Phatbox Installation
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2006, 01:24:16 pm »
Great!  I'm glad that you're up and running again.

Les.

Offline amb

« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2006, 01:32:18 am »
Btw, replacing the bad disk was painless...  I just used the hack CD 1.5 to repartition and reformat the new drive, and then let PMM resync/save my music to it.  I have a good backup of my entire PHTSYS partition from the old drive, so I restored that onto the new drive, and it's up and running.  Noteworthy is the fact that I didn't need to write anything to the first megabyte of the drive.

If I understand it, various versions of the phatpatch utility provides different levels of "hack" to the phatbox bootloader.  When hacked with the one from the hack CD 1.5, it doesn't need the first megabyte to contain anything special any more.

Just this alone is enough reason to hack the phatbox.  If the DMS drive ever fails, it's very easy to replace it and be up and running again.

I ran a disk defragmenter on both PHTSYS and PHTDTA partitions just for good measure too.

Oh, and you're right S80_UK, the WD Scorpio drive is indeed quiet and cool.  Also, from the limited amount of play time I've had on it so far, none of my Ogg format files had exhibited the premature-end problem.  Time will tell... but maybe this is a good sign.  Knock on wood.