Author Topic: Anyone run USB 1.1 Cradle successfully in an XP Virtual Machine in Windows 7?  (Read 7604 times)

Offline drhendrix

Hello,

I’m currently running a stock firmware KHD C710 Keg with version 2.3 of the PhatNoise Music Manager and a USB 1.1 cradle on a Windows XP desktop PC with no issues.  I tried to run it hacked but I had problems I couldn’t solve.

I’m planning to upgrade my PC hardware and install Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit.  I’ve searched the forum for info about how to run PMM 2.3 and a USB 1.1 cradle in Windows 7, but it seems there are no drivers for the PMM or the cradle for Windows 7.

My question is will the USB 1.1 cradle and DMS be detected from within a Windows XP 32 bit Virtual Machine run through VMware workstation under Windows 7?  I’ve read posts stating that running through a VM should work, but I couldn’t find a post by someone actually running the PMM and 1.1 cradle within a VM.

Thanks for any guidance for using the PMS and USB 1.1 cradle on a Windows 7 system.

Dennis
« Last Edit: August 10, 2012, 07:46:24 pm by drhendrix »
KHD-C710 with a KCA-R71FM hardwired in a 99 C5 Vette

Offline Terry_Kennedy

• Veteran.
  • There and back again
My question is will the USB 1.1 cradle and DMS be detected from within a Windows XP 32 bit Virtual Machine run through VMware workstation under Windows 7?  I’ve read posts stating that running through a VM should work, but I couldn’t find a post by someone actually running the PMM and 1.1 cradle within a VM.

I haven't tried it in VMware, but Microsoft's virtualization products (including the XP Mode in Windows 7) need a USB driver in the host OS, and then the device is exported to the guest OS. There's no direct attachment of USB drives in the guest OS.

Offline drhendrix

Thanks for the reply Terry,

I haven't tried it in VMware, but Microsoft's virtualization products (including the XP Mode in Windows 7) need a USB driver in the host OS, and then the device is exported to the guest OS. There's no direct attachment of USB drives in the guest OS.

I ran across this statement on the VMware forum:

VMware Workstation 4 provides a two-port USB 1.1 controller. You can use up to two USB devices in your virtual machine if both your host operating system and your guest operating system support USB. If your host computer supports USB 2.0 devices, you can use those devices in the virtual machine.

Although your host operating system must support USB, you do not need to install device-specific drivers for your USB devices in the host operating system if you want to use those devices only in the virtual machine.

It sounds like VM workstation is worth a try.  I could try installing XP in a dual boot setup if the XP VM can't access the cradle or the DMS, but I would rather not have to do  that.

Thanks

Offline VorTechS

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
  • PhatHack Media Manager & DMS Tools Wizard Author
VMWorkstation certainly used to work, I had my USB 1.1 cradle attached that way whilst creating an installer for the latest Cypress drivers (which I re-labelled as the PhatHack USB drivers) a while ago.
Kenwood KDC-W7031 | Kenwood KHD-CX910 | 250GB DMS | PhatHack Media Manager v1.1.4 (Alpha) | VIOT

Catch me weekdays 8am-4pm GMT on IRC @ irc.freenode.net on channel #phathack (aka the chat link!!)

Offline drhendrix

Thanks VorTech,

I'll give it a try and report back if it works.  I don't know how long it will be before I upgrade my desktop PC hardware and go to Windows 7 though.

One cool thing about VMware workstation is that you can create a Virtual Machine of your current PC, including the desktop, applications and drivers, and then run it on another PC.

Offline jbdbsb123

Why not simply get a USB-2.0?