Author Topic: PhatBox only plays first song of each album??  (Read 6392 times)

Offline drewski

• PhatHacker
PhatBox only plays first song of each album??
« on: December 23, 2005, 06:05:15 pm »
I just got my PhatBox installed into my 2001 Audi S4 and uploaded around 3,000 songs onto the PhatBox, but it seems like I can only play the first song of each album?

I'm in album mode, get the album I want, wait. It goes back to track mode, so the documentation says it should play the other songs in the album.

Song finishes, goes to next album. That song finishes, goes to next album. Etc. I hit the track advance once it goes into the track mode and it just starts the same song over again.

These are definitely songs from albums that I've ripped. It's not like there is only one song that I have from the album. It's like it doesn't think there are more songs associated with the album.

Anyone know what's going on? I've got the ID3 tags on everything so that's not the issue. Is something corrupt? PhatBox firmware messed up? I did load new firmware, and when I was doing that my computer froze. When I restarted PMM, I had to erase the DMS and redo that. Could that have fuxored something up?

Any help appreciated!!

Offline amb

• Getting the hang of things.
Re: PhatBox only plays first song of each album??
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2005, 08:41:50 am »
If your album is a "various artists" album, and your files are tagged such that the artist field are different for each track, then this is the way the PMM will sort by default.  This is because the "album" mode is a misnomer, it's actually artist/album mode where it groups by artist first.

I have a solution to this but it currently requires a Linux box on which to re-sort your album database.  See my post toward the end of this thread for info.

Offline drewski

• PhatHacker
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2005, 11:07:23 pm »
If your album is a "various artists" album, and your files are tagged such that the artist field are different for each track, then this is the way the PMM will sort by default.  This is because the "album" mode is a misnomer, it's actually artist/album mode where it groups by artist first.

I have a solution to this but it currently requires a Linux box on which to re-sort your album database.  See my post toward the end of this thread for info.

linux, eh? i'll see what spare parts i have around and give this open source stuff a go.

may pester you for help once that's up and going!! any issues with getting the DMS cradle working? or was that simple plug/play?

thanks.

Offline drewski

• PhatHacker
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2005, 06:04:49 pm »
oh, and for the record, it was the various artists issue. to make things "simple" i just grabbed the "compilations" folder from my iTunes folder and added it to the DMS. every album loaded was "various artists" with the artist field filled with the individual artist name.

DOH!!  :o  who thought up this sort strategy??  ::)

Offline amb

• Getting the hang of things.
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2006, 11:32:40 am »
may pester you for help once that's up and going!! any issues with getting the DMS cradle working? or was that simple plug/play?
Yes, if you have a USB port on your PC to connect the cradle, and a reasonably recent distro of Linux with hotplug support, then the DMS partitions should automatically mount when inserted.  Otherwise, it's a simple matter of issuing a simple command to manually mount them.