Author Topic: Sorting Albums by Artist, ALBUM-YEAR  (Read 4833 times)

Offline pmasquel

• PhatHacker
Sorting Albums by Artist, ALBUM-YEAR
« on: December 19, 2005, 10:48:06 am »
Wondering whether anyone has found a way to alter the sort sequence of Albums by an Artist to be listed by the YEAR the album was released (since year is one of the tags stored with each file) instead of alphabetically.

For example, when I get to artist = "Van Halen", I would like the first album up to be "Van Halen" (1978), followed by "Van Halen II" (1979), followed by "Women and Children First" (1980), etc... Instead, the first album up is "1984".

I'd like to find some way for this to be automatic (rather than hardcoding the date into each album name).

Any ideas?

Thanks for your help!

Offline amb

• Getting the hang of things.
Re: Sorting Albums by Artist, ALBUM-YEAR
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2005, 11:22:17 am »
Unfortunately, I don't think PMM gives you a way to do that.  To accomplish that one would have to write an external application to read the file tags and re-sort the DMS database, and re-generate the index files, etc.

Offline fw_fw

• A few posts under my belt.
  • Phatbox'n Phool
Re: Sorting Albums by Artist, ALBUM-YEAR
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2005, 09:54:36 pm »
Wondering whether anyone has found a way to alter the sort sequence of Albums by an Artist to be listed by the YEAR the album was released (since year is one of the tags stored with each file) instead of alphabetically.

For example, when I get to artist = "Van Halen", I would like the first album up to be "Van Halen" (1978), followed by "Van Halen II" (1979), followed by "Women and Children First" (1980), etc... Instead, the first album up is "1984".

I'd like to find some way for this to be automatic (rather than hardcoding the date into each album name).

Any ideas?

Thanks for your help!

As I rip my CDs I embed the year into the album title, i.e. "1980 - Women and Children First".  That way they are sorted in chronological order.

If your CDs are already ripped onto your PCs, you have to change both the album folder title as well as the ID3 properties of each song in order for the phatbox to pick it up correctly.