Author Topic: VW PhatNoise  (Read 4349 times)

Offline vaxick

• PhatHacker
VW PhatNoise
« on: December 27, 2005, 06:20:37 pm »
I bought a Kenwood KDC-X789 headunit today as I know they have support for PhatNoise.  Somebody directed to me this site (Happy to see a community for it now) and I was wondering how do I modify my PhatNoise to work with it.  It's the OEM Volkswagen PhatNoise player.  I got it for $110 when VW was clearing them out  :o

Also what do I have to do to install the headunit if there is any special wiring I need to do to get it to see the PhatNoise or I assume it can see it through the OEM VW wires.  
« Last Edit: December 27, 2005, 06:22:07 pm by vaxick »

Offline judb

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
  • ph4t l3wtz
Re: VW PhatNoise
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2005, 07:03:29 pm »
kenwood using a completely different cable type for hooking the phatnoise up to the head unit so when you get your head unit installed (which you can get a wiring harness for your VW from bestbuy / Frys / Crutchfield.com for like under 20 dollars that will hook everything on your head up except for the keg cable.

Do a search in the hardware support forum (where I am moving this post because this has absolutly nothing to do with DMS hacks) for the cable pin outs.. you can order a cable if they are available or make one yourself.

Thanks!

Offline vaxick

• PhatHacker
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2005, 07:21:05 pm »
kenwood using a completely different cable type for hooking the phatnoise up to the head unit so when you get your head unit installed (which you can get a wiring harness for your VW from bestbuy / Frys / Crutchfield.com for like under 20 dollars that will hook everything on your head up except for the keg cable.

Do a search in the hardware support forum (where I am moving this post because this has absolutly nothing to do with DMS hacks) for the cable pin outs.. you can order a cable if they are available or make one yourself.

Thanks!

So the cable that goes into the headunit for the PhatNoise need an adaptor or be modified to fit?  

I have the orginal headunit model in my VW which is a 2 piece unit.  One is the radio and tape deck.  The other is the CD player and buttons to switch over to the changer.  
« Last Edit: December 27, 2005, 08:02:32 pm by vaxick »

Offline judb

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
  • ph4t l3wtz
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2005, 09:47:39 pm »
the kenwood uses a connector that is incompatible and other pins IIRC..
http://www.phathack.com/pinouts.html has more info.

I assumed by your post that you'll be installing the kenwood to replace the factory setup and using a pocket or somthing to fill in the extra hole.

Offline vaxick

• PhatHacker
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2005, 05:46:29 pm »
the kenwood uses a connector that is incompatible and other pins IIRC..
http://www.phathack.com/pinouts.html has more info.

I assumed by your post that you'll be installing the kenwood to replace the factory setup and using a pocket or somthing to fill in the extra hole.

Yep, bought a pocket at the dealership yesterday.  Had my father take that pinout page to his work with him since he works in a IT department.  Hopefully somebody there will connect a Kenwood cable to my PhatNoise.  I see what all needs to be done to the wires to attach them together, but my hands are just not steady :-/