Author Topic: How do I know if the Keg has been patched?  (Read 7722 times)

Offline Anito

• A few posts under my belt.
  • 06 Audi S4 Sprint Blue
How do I know if the Keg has been patched?
« on: January 03, 2006, 12:12:47 am »
Hi Guys,

I've been having problems getting my Keg patched, the lights kept blinking eternally.  Having looked through the forum I found a few similar threads which talk about corrupting the one of the .sig files.

I did this and re-applied the 7.02 firmware, inserted it into the car and left it a few minutes.  Suddenly the first track on disc 1 started playing and when I power off the lights on the keg do go out.

I'm not sure beacuse people mention the "welcome to phatnoise" audio which I don't get (although I've moved the default discs to the end of my list) and if I scroll the menu for the one which says firmware information, it does nothing and takes me to the playlit after a few seconds.

thanks.

Offline judb

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
  • ph4t l3wtz
Re: How do I know if the Keg has been patched?
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2006, 04:33:28 am »
if you reapply the firmware it will overwrite the .sig files with the phatnoise issued ones.

in other words, corrupt the sig and the drive should start working again.  Sadly looking at the cryptic log files from the patch utility is the only way to know if it really patched or not, or try screwing up various parts of the boot checks to see if they've been properly defeated and the box still works or not.  I'd go with the logs, its easiear.

Offline Anito

• 06 Audi S4 Sprint Blue
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2006, 12:00:59 pm »
Last night I corrupted the sig files on my DMS and re-applied the 7.02 flash.  I then inserted the DMS into the Keg in my car and after a few minutes music.  when I powered off the HU all the lights went out on the keg shortly afterwards.  I checked it a few times and the lights never came back on.

This morning I jumped in the car and listened to music for my journey.  I parked the car and just went back to take a look (4 hours later) and the lights are flashing on the keg.  Fior now I've removed the DMS otherwise I fear i'll have no battery left.

Is it me?

Offline judb

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
  • ph4t l3wtz
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2006, 02:08:59 pm »
I've never seen the keg keep blinking like that.. that is quite strange...

Offline Anito

• 06 Audi S4 Sprint Blue
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2006, 02:54:39 pm »
Is there anyway I can run some diagnostics on the DMS &/  Keg?  Could the problem be with the Keg or HU?

Later today I'll count the flashes and let you know the outcome.

Have you got a list which tells me what the number of flashes mean?

One other thing.  Reading the instructions it says I should hear an audio message when the flash update is complete.  I don't, it just starts playing music.

BTW I renamed my account from AudiS4.  Thanks for your help NY Eve.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2006, 06:21:18 pm by AudiS4 »

Offline sbingner

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2006, 07:26:29 pm »
Have you got a list which tells me what the number of flashes mean?

I started to compile one, but I got tried of trying to find each one... I find it easier to research it when I see a number.   Should start putting them into a page as I find them tho ;)

Offline Anito

• 06 Audi S4 Sprint Blue
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2006, 09:26:32 am »
An update on the blinking.

The Keg comes on and gives two very quick flashes of the green light.  This is followed by a 2-3 second pause which is followed by 14 single blinks of the green light, each with a 2-3 second gap.  At the moment i'm not sure how long the gap between cylces is though.

« Last Edit: January 05, 2006, 09:29:22 am by AudiS4 »

Offline sbingner

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2006, 07:07:52 pm »
Are you sure about the blinks?  The only place I see it blinking twoce is when it's having trouble communicating with the hard drive... you could open it and make sure that your IDE cable is properly seated, but it just doesn't seem right to me...  you could try taking a video of it for me if you like so we're sure about the number of blinks ;)

Offline Anito

• 06 Audi S4 Sprint Blue
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2006, 07:56:57 pm »
I'm happy that it is seated ok, especially as I can listen to music just fine.  I've just been back to the car, unlocked it and opened the boot.  If I didn't know better I'd say the light were off then came on as I opened the boot.

I'll give this a good go tomorrow PM and over the weekend.

Cheers.

Offline Anito

• 06 Audi S4 Sprint Blue
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2006, 07:19:38 pm »
I've taken a couple of video's so you can see the problem.  It's a bit dark in the car, so the clips are like something from amityville but you will get the idea.

The problem is they are both 9MB zipped.  Any suggestions for an upload? - Do you have an ftp?

Offline sbingner

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2006, 04:16:19 am »
you can email them to me -- sam at phathack.com
« Last Edit: January 07, 2006, 04:16:37 am by sbingner »

Offline Anito

• 06 Audi S4 Sprint Blue
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2006, 10:28:04 am »
Just sent you 2 seperate e-mails.

Offline sbingner

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2006, 11:06:11 am »
Your phatbox looks like it's operating normally, you probably have a patched box by now ;)

When you try to apply the patch it should write some logfiles, you can look in there to see if it worked

As to not powering off, being flashed or unflashed with patch would be irrelevant to that...
« Last Edit: January 07, 2006, 11:08:12 am by sbingner »

Offline Anito

• 06 Audi S4 Sprint Blue
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2006, 11:11:53 am »
Any idea why it powers on when I unlock the car or is this normal?

I want to be sure it's working correctly before I have another go with the 100GB disk
« Last Edit: January 07, 2006, 11:12:31 am by AudiS4 »