Author Topic: Tags questions.  (Read 6637 times)

Offline Bane

• A few posts under my belt.
Tags questions.
« on: January 12, 2006, 07:04:40 am »
Hi everyone.. This is my first post here, so please forgive me if this has been covered. I was unable to find anything.

I would like to know if anyone knows what the specs are for file tags? Nearly everything I have ripped to flac, shows up with unknown artist, unknown title, etc., yet all my media players etc read the tags fine.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Offline sbingner

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
Re: Tags questions.
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2006, 07:31:50 am »
I think I saw in the release notes for the newest release of Phatnoise Media Manager that it now reads vorbis tags off flac files.... try that

Offline Bane

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2006, 02:50:52 pm »
What is the latest version and where do I get it? I currenttly have 2.3. Also have there been any recent firmware releases? I couldn't find either on Phatnoises web site.

Thanks
« Last Edit: January 12, 2006, 02:51:24 pm by Bane »

Offline markbowen

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran.
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2006, 03:14:19 pm »
You're using Music Manager 2.3.  You might try instead Media Manager 3.76 (http://www.phatnoise.com/downloads/download_pmmsw.php).

Firmware updates are done from within the software.  Click on "hardware options" in the program.  Check the manual for precise instructions on doing a firmware update.
Kenwood DNX7200/Kenwood KHD-C710 Keg/320GB DMS

Offline Bane

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2006, 04:14:53 pm »
Media Manager will not install on my machine, I am running windows XP 64bit. Anyone have any ideas or any documentation that says what format the tags need to be in?

Thanks

Offline sbingner

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2006, 12:32:50 am »
the old stuff uses ID3 tags on FLAC and OGG

Offline Bane

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2006, 06:34:05 am »

Do you know if it is using ID3 v1, v2, or both?

Thanks

Offline Bane

« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2006, 06:43:36 am »
 I have been using dbPowerAmp Music Converter to rip my cd's. It appears to be using flac tags and there is no option that I can find to have it write ID3. Is there an automated way to convert flac tags to ID3?

Offline markbowen

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran.
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2006, 09:06:15 am »
I have been using dbPowerAmp Music Converter to rip my cd's. It appears to be using flac tags and there is no option that I can find to have it write ID3. Is there an automated way to convert flac tags to ID3?

There is a great program called Tag & Rename that can tag all kinds of files (including flac) in many different standards.  It's not "automatic" but you can batch convert the tags on large groups of files.  I've not used it to tag flac files but for many others, and the tags are always read correctly.  You can download a trial and see if it suits your needs.

If that won't work, then in the worst case you'll have to tag everything in PMM, though even there you should be able to batch tag several files at once.
Kenwood DNX7200/Kenwood KHD-C710 Keg/320GB DMS

Offline sbingner

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2006, 09:54:57 am »
I don't recall.. set one wityh V1 only, and one with V2 only and you'll find out... or different info in V1 and V2

Offline Bane

« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2006, 11:43:32 pm »

The old stuff? Are you saying there is an update that can make the FLAC tags work correctly?

If so, where can I get it?

Thanks

Offline Bane

« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2006, 11:44:33 pm »

There is a great program called Tag & Rename that can tag all kinds of files (including flac) in many different standards.  It's not "automatic" but you can batch convert the tags on large groups of files.  I've not used it to tag flac files but for many others, and the tags are always read correctly.  You can download a trial and see if it suits your needs.

If that won't work, then in the worst case you'll have to tag everything in PMM, though even there you should be able to batch tag several files at once.

It doesn't seem to have any type of conversion option, unless I am not seeing it. How are you handling the conversion from FLAC tags to ID3?

Thanks