Author Topic: Will this drive work with the Phatbox?  (Read 5734 times)

Offline todd1010

• Veteran.
  • 2005 Audi S4
todd1010 AT gmail DOT com

Offline sven

• A few posts under my belt.
Re: Will this drive work with the Phatbox?
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2006, 04:52:46 pm »
Sweet moses!  Those drives are finally out.  I know the guys here have said that there might have to be some changes made to the upgrade program.  I am really interested to see what can be done.  The drive is expensive, but finally having all my music on one drive (with room to spare too) would be awesome.

Offline markbowen

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran.
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2006, 07:02:14 pm »
I think the current limitation on the Phatbox is 127GB -- but if that can be overcome I'm sure Phatnoise will sell you a 160GB DMS -- for only $699!!!

Even if it can work I'd certainly wait a while before taking that plunge.  Seagate is just the first of the "perpendicular" drives to make it to the market.  Laptop are going to get bigger over the next year -- Fujitsu should ship 200GB drives by the end of the year.
Kenwood DNX7200/Kenwood KHD-C710 Keg/320GB DMS

Offline judb

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
  • ph4t l3wtz
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2006, 03:03:53 am »
well if anyone wants to send one to Sam or I we'll make it work and send it back.. I don't need a 160 right now but it would be fun to play with for a bit. ;)

Offline todd1010

• Veteran.
  • 2005 Audi S4
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2006, 10:08:08 pm »
well if anyone wants to send one to Sam or I we'll make it work and send it back.. I don't need a 160 right now but it would be fun to play with for a bit. ;)

I'd be happy to, but if they are coming out with a 200gb in the several months then I believe I'll wait a little while. But you never know, I may just break down and go ahead and get it.

Judb, If I do , I'll contact you first to get your mailing address and just have it sent directly to you so you can play around with it.
todd1010 AT gmail DOT com

Offline sbingner

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2006, 07:40:43 am »

I'd be happy to, but if they are coming out with a 200gb in the several months then I believe I'll wait a little while. But you never know, I may just break down and go ahead and get it.

Judb, If I do , I'll contact you first to get your mailing address and just have it sent directly to you so you can play around with it.

We don't know for sure the >120GB drives will work, but we won't know until we have a drive to test it on and I'm not spending $700 to find out myself since my phatbox still isn't working in my car....

Offline judb

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
  • ph4t l3wtz
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2006, 04:56:19 pm »
exactly.  I'll make it work but I don't have the cash on had to drop on a 160 gig drive..

perhaps we should direct some future donations toward that goal? ;)