Author Topic: Phatbox DMS head unit emulator?  (Read 5159 times)

Offline todd1010

• Veteran.
  • 2005 Audi S4
Phatbox DMS head unit emulator?
« on: January 31, 2006, 01:50:27 am »
How much work would be involved in making an "emulator" for the Phatbox? What I'm talking about is when I have the DMS in the cradle and I could start up a program that would emulate the head unit for our cars. I'm no programmer but I think it could be done.

What could happen is that you would have a actual picture of the head unit and it would work just like its in your car. I don't know how many of us would NEED this but I know that I would use it, because of all of the ID Tagging I do and miscellaneous tweaking.

todd1010 AT gmail DOT com

Offline judb

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
  • ph4t l3wtz
Re: Phatbox DMS head unit emulator?
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2006, 02:28:46 am »
I am not sure I understand what it is you are trying to accomplish by having an "emulator" ...
you want to see what it looks like to navigate your music as it is on the DMS in the databases etc?

I would think that could be done but unless the program is interactive to allow repairs what purpose would it serve?

another idea would be a web site you upload your databases and it gives you the HU emulation so you can "play" with your music.

Offline todd1010

• Veteran.
  • 2005 Audi S4
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2006, 02:42:57 am »
Mainly I would use it to keep myself from running in & out to the car to check if somethings working correctly. Like let's say that I want to check how my phatbox.ini configuration is working. If I had an emulator then I wouldn't have to run out to the car and see if I like the way it works and sounds.
todd1010 AT gmail DOT com

Offline SteveC

• Getting the hang of things.
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2006, 04:01:21 pm »
Mainly I would use it to keep myself from running in & out to the car to check if somethings working correctly. Like let's say that I want to check how my phatbox.ini configuration is working. If I had an emulator then I wouldn't have to run out to the car and see if I like the way it works and sounds.

OK, so you aren't talking about emulating the headunit, you are talking about emulating the entire PhatBox system (since the DMS is just storage), along with a headunit.

That's one honking BIG job.

Offline judb

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
  • ph4t l3wtz
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2006, 08:53:49 pm »
well perhaps it just needs to be a syntax parser that validates the files on the DMS insetad of a full blown emulator?