Author Topic: Error after firmware upgrade  (Read 7265 times)

Offline Sortova

• PhatHacker
Error after firmware upgrade
« on: February 24, 2006, 06:30:31 pm »
Howdy. First post so please be gentle.

I just bought a Phatbox for my Jetta TDI. I need the latest firmware, but the Phatnoize update server seems to be down, and they aren't answering the phone or e-mail (last two days).

I downloaded the 7.0.2 firmware from this site, and now when I try to access the DMS in Media Manager it complains about missing files and sends me to the update manager, which can't access the server (errors with "Cannot Connect to Server" - and I've tried this on three machines on three different networks).

DMS Doctor gets to the "Checking for System Files" stage and then errors with:

FAIL: Could not load XML document.

Any clues for a DMS newbie here?

-T

Offline Sortova

• PhatHacker
Re: Error after firmware upgrade
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2006, 08:42:04 pm »
I finally got a call from Phatnoise. They are undergoing a server migration and the servers are down, with no estimated up time.

:'(

Offline judb

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
  • ph4t l3wtz
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2006, 09:34:39 pm »
you can get the files from downloads.phathack.com ... just remove the files from the root of your phtsys drive and then extract the 4 zip files for your head unit into phtsys.

Offline Sortova

• PhatHacker
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2006, 09:42:46 pm »
you can get the files from downloads.phathack.com ... just remove the files from the root of your phtsys drive and then extract the 4 zip files for your head unit into phtsys.

I've done that, but apparently I am missing or have misconfigured "XML" file. The only XML file I can find is properties.xml,  but there doesn't look like there is much to modify there.

I need to be able to install the AAC plugin,  but it won't let me until this "missing file" gets resolved. Every time I try I get slammed with a "Missing DMS Firmware" error. Phatnoise told me that this won't happen until the upgrade completes through *their* server.

I can ignore the message and get some functionality out of the box, but since most of my music archive is AAC, it doesn't help me much.

-T

Offline FfejNS

• PhatHacker
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2006, 02:07:59 pm »
I am having the exact same problem. I wipe my PHTSYS partition and extract those 4 zip files, and the DMS Doctor tells me that it couldn't load an XML file and MM still thinks I have an uninitialized DMS. What's going on? Why aren't those zip files complete? My PhatBox is completely dead until I fix this.  :'(
« Last Edit: February 26, 2006, 02:08:54 pm by FfejNS »

Offline FfejNS

• PhatHacker
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2006, 02:18:58 pm »
I think I may have found a way to fix this by comparing it to a friend's DMS.

The sole difference appears to be a file on the root of PHTSYS called CurrentSetup.xml (note caps) which contains exactly the following (no, there are no newlines in the file, and obviously the brand and headunit code etc may be different for you):

<firmware><long_brand>Volkswagen/Audi</long_brand><headunit_code>0x3950</headunit_code><description>All supported models</description><type>HU</type><model_group>Brand Stereos</model_group><years>Version 7.02, Released 11/3/2004. Includes models:</years><image>/images/pm/volkswagen_audi.jpg</image><firmware_version>7.02</firmware_version><firmware_date>11/3/2004</firmware_date><comment>Fixed track change bug with radio type E.  Fixed audible resume bug.  Fixed minor letter seek bug.  Supports AAC decoder</comment><headunit_files_url>/files/headunit_0x3950_7_02.zip</headunit_files_url><headunit_files_version>7</headunit_files_version><headunit_files_date>11/3/2004</headunit_files_date><player_files_url>/files/playerfiles_2004_11_01.zip</player_files_url><player_files_version>7.02</player_files_version><player_files_date>11/3/2004</player_files_date><daemon_files_url>/files/daemonfiles_2004_11_01.zip</daemon_files_url><daemon_files_version>7.02</daemon_files_version><daemon_files_date>11/3/2004</daemon_files_date><system_files_url>/files/systemfiles2004_11_01.zip</system_files_url><system_files_version>7.02</system_files_version><system_files_date>11/3/2004</system_files_date><required>Y</required></firmware>

Offline judb

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
  • ph4t l3wtz
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2006, 04:27:18 pm »
Which version of PMM are you using?

Offline FfejNS

• PhatHacker
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2006, 07:34:29 pm »
Oops, I intended to refer to the MUSIC manager, I apologize. I am using 2.30

Any word on when the Phatnoise servers will be back up so that the firmware wizard will work again? anybody know?

Offline Sortova

• PhatHacker
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2006, 09:53:25 pm »
I think I may have found a way to fix this by comparing it to a friend's DMS.

Two words: You Rule

Thank you so much. This was exactly what I needed. While the servers are still down, I was able to get the AAC plugin installed and now I can actually use my Phatbox.

Thankyouthankyouthankyou.

-T