Author Topic: VW Phatbox --> Kenwood HU.  Confused?  (Read 6590 times)

Offline bdjones72

• PhatHacker
VW Phatbox --> Kenwood HU.  Confused?
« on: February 28, 2006, 04:37:06 pm »
Hello all,  I just regisyered to the site and have been searching/reading through the various threads about VW Phatbox to Kenwood headunit connections.  I have a VW Phatbox and plan to buy a eXcelon X879 headunit for my Passat.  I've already ordered the KHD-5L1 cable from kenwoodparts.com.  I'm confused as to whether or not this cable is all that I need in order to hook up the VW Phatbox that I have to the Kenwood HU.  From reading the various posts it seems like I may have to adapt the one end in order to fit the phatbox, but other posts seem like it's just a plug and play sort of thing.  Could someone please clarify for me what (if anything) I have to do to the KHD-5L1 cable to make it work with my phatbox and HU?

Also, when I update the firmware on my DMS for the Kenwood deck would it be best for me to just clear the DMS and start from scratch?  I've read a few threads that suggest that I have to follow some specific sequence or I may damage the DMS.

I'm sure that these topics have been covered many times, but I'm just not getting the clear cut, black and white, andswer that I'm looking for.  Thanks in advance for your time.

Offline sbingner

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
Re: VW Phatbox --> Kenwood HU.  Confused?
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2006, 06:06:56 pm »
that cable will be all you need, but they're notoriously slow in shipping them to you

Offline bdjones72

• PhatHacker
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2006, 07:07:17 pm »
Great.  Thank you for your reply.

Offline sbingner

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2006, 08:08:56 am »
oh, and you just use PMM to update the firmware on your DMS to the kenwood firmware... forgot to mention that ;)

Offline vaxick

• PhatHacker
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2006, 02:53:41 am »
Woah, I have a Kenwood heatunit for my car and a VW PhatNoise, so I can just order this cable instead of having to hack the VW cable?

It's this part on the site right

KHD-5L1          CABLE KHDCX910                    $50.00

Offline bdjones72

• PhatHacker
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2006, 05:25:05 am »
Woah, I have a Kenwood heatunit for my car and a VW PhatNoise, so I can just order this cable instead of having to hack the VW cable?

Yep.  I got that same cable from the same place.  Hooked everything up to my HU this weekend and updated the firmware on the DMS and everything worked just as it should.

Offline vaxick

• PhatHacker
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2006, 11:01:08 am »

Yep.  I got that same cable from the same place.  Hooked everything up to my HU this weekend and updated the firmware on the DMS and everything worked just as it should.

So the cable really looks like this?

One end being this  and the other end being this?

Offline bdjones72

• PhatHacker
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2006, 05:20:59 pm »
Yep.  It's the exact cable that comes with the Kenwood Musickeg and plugs right into the VW Phatbox.

Offline amster

• PhatHacker
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2006, 11:50:18 pm »
 :)
thats just what i was looking for GREAT

and then can i olso say hallo to the forum
my name is "amster"
34 years of age
living in amsterdam/holland
are the happy owner of a  KENWOOD EXCELON MUSIC KEG
 KHD-CX910 with Sirius
and a
KHD-C710
and
i got some phatnoise for vw/audi  
and we have been trying to connect the phatnoise to some diffrent kenwood
with no luck
so now will i first study all the diffrent things there is to do with the dms
so this looks just like the plase to be for me  :)
amster...

Offline vaxick

• PhatHacker
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2006, 07:37:35 am »
Yep.  It's the exact cable that comes with the Kenwood Musickeg and plugs right into the VW Phatbox.

Wow, I had no idea there was such a part out there.  I bought a Kenwood changer cable and was going to hack the cable that comes with the PhatBox, but it looks like I won't have to do that now.  Good deal since I was really worried about doing such a project.  

Man, this is too great! ;D

Offline roninS4

• PhatHacker
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2006, 02:25:44 am »
Hello! New guy to the forum. Can I use this same cable and update the firm to install my Audi Phatnoise into my Mini Cooper? That would be great if I could.

Thanks.
John

Offline markbowen

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran.
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2006, 10:06:56 am »
Hello! New guy to the forum. Can I use this same cable and update the firm to install my Audi Phatnoise into my Mini Cooper? That would be great if I could.

You can -- if the head unit in your Mini is a Kenwood.  Otherwise, you will need at least the specific Phatbox>Mini cable (which may be the same as a BMW cable, not sure).

If you want to purse this further, I strongly suggest you start a separate thread on the subject.
Kenwood DNX7200/Kenwood KHD-C710 Keg/320GB DMS

Offline masterblaster

« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2006, 04:59:21 pm »
Hi,
Does this cable work with any Kenwood Headunit? Or only the ones that support AC Drive?

-Mike

Offline LloydDobler

• Getting the hang of things.
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2006, 12:00:30 am »
Hi,
Does this cable work with any Kenwood Headunit? Or only the ones that support AC Drive?

-Mike

Any Kenwood head unit with CD changer controls made in the last 5 or so years will work.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2006, 12:00:48 am by LloydDobler »