Author Topic: Question: audi phatbox -> kenwood keg process  (Read 7171 times)

Offline jcharles00

• PhatHacker
Question: audi phatbox -> kenwood keg process
« on: March 10, 2006, 07:42:49 pm »
just want to make sure i understand before i do this and go screwing something up.

i run PMM, tell it to put the latest kenwood firmware on the DMS. (i haven't installed PMM yet, i assume the firmware stuff is just an option in there)

that downloads to the DMS via cradle. then i put the DMS into the phatbox before the first time i connect it to the headunit.

when i fire it up, the firmware loads and all is cool.

then i load my music onto the DMS and it should function normally?

sorry to ask redundant questions.. i just don't want to kill the DMS or anything.

Offline markbowen

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran.
Re: Question: audi phatbox -> kenwood keg process
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2006, 08:53:28 pm »
Basically, yes.  Everything should be clear once you are in the software.  You need to be connected to the internet to update the firmware.  Then just follow the instructions (in your manual) for updating the firmware on your phatbox.

You can't kill the DMS unless you actually manage to erase the drive signature.  That won't happen doing a firmware update.

Also, Kenwood head units need to be reset after hooking up a phatbox for the first time.
Kenwood DNX7200/Kenwood KHD-C710 Keg/320GB DMS

Offline jcharles00

• PhatHacker
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2006, 09:34:04 pm »
cool! thanks!

Offline jcharles00

• PhatHacker
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2006, 04:33:57 pm »
it's in and functional now, but i have a question about DMS navigation.

currently, i can only scroll up and down through albums, (with "voice" reading of album title) and left and right through songs of that album. my DMS is less than half full, and it takes me a really long time to scroll from one end of the album list to the other... is there no better way to navigate? when i play a multi folder mp3 cd, i can do "folder select" and visually see the folder names, which makes it a little quicker.. i take it this isn't possible with the kenwood HU->phatbox setup?

i read somewhere on here once that people were setting up alphabetical folders (ie: A, B, C, etc) and putting albums into these by artist to help speed the navigation progress.. i can't seem to find it in the search now though.. could someone link me?

Offline sbingner

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2006, 07:03:01 pm »
You can enable SSA or buy VIOT -- see http://wiki.phathack.com/VIOT