Author Topic: Cannot Connect to DMS  (Read 3630 times)

Offline RSS

• PhatHacker
Cannot Connect to DMS
« on: March 17, 2006, 05:40:59 am »
Well nothing but problems with the phatbox so far living in canada it only works 3% of the time. So if i forget to bring it inside with me at any time the DMS dies and cannot reconnect. When ever i have had  it fail on me before i would put it in the craddle wait half an hour for my computer to be able to actually access the drive then wait another half hour when i right click to format it. But this time no connetion left it for a couple hours all it does is freeze the computer. I am wondering if there is another way i can access the drive to format it. Dos boot?

Damn Toshiba Hard Drives

Offline markbowen

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran.
Re: Cannot Connect to DMS
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2006, 01:38:20 pm »
Most hard drives are not designed to operate below a certain temperature, so you should be letting the inside of the car warm up before you even try to operate the Phatbox.  Sounds to me like the drive heads are stuck, though I'm not sure that would be caused permanently by cold weather.  You might just have a defective drive.

You can use the hack and repair CD to format and repair the drive.

If that doesn't work, try getting a warranty replacement.

Kenwood DNX7200/Kenwood KHD-C710 Keg/320GB DMS

Offline RSS

• PhatHacker
Cannot connect to the DMS to Format
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2006, 03:29:59 pm »
I usually dont leave it in the car but i forgot it over night and i turned off the Phatbox when i got in the car because i knew it wouldnt work. But when i warmed it up it still wouldnt connect. Also when ever this happens (it has happend a couple times) I usually just plug it into the cradle wait 30min for it to finally read it then format the drive. This time i cannot get it to connect to my computer at all. It also freezes my computer as it tries to connect so formatting has become impossible.

Offline judb

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
  • ph4t l3wtz
Re: Cannot Connect to DMS
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2006, 04:10:44 pm »
Just microwave it on Medium power for 5 minutes.. that should fix it.  ;D

Seriously though, it sounds like the drive is foobared so I would see about getting it replaced via phatnoise customer service.  If you DO microwave it it WILL be dead so don't do that .. it was a joke.

Offline RSS

• PhatHacker
Thats what i thought with my cat
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2006, 04:33:01 pm »
But instead of drying kitty exploded