Author Topic: ramdisk info  (Read 5601 times)

Offline judb

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
  • ph4t l3wtz
ramdisk info
« on: April 03, 2005, 05:49:54 pm »
I dont know if you folks know this or not, but you can browse the ramdisk on the phatbox ...

mount -t ext2 -o loop /path_to_phatsys_files/ramdisk /mnt/phatbox

Looking at the contents of the ram disk, unless you were able to modify the ramdisk image (not use the .sig file) you will be unable to add another hard disk because there are no device files for hdb etc...

Not that we didnt know some of that already.

Offline balle

• A few posts under my belt.
  • Wannabe...
Re: ramdisk info
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2005, 06:15:03 pm »
Looking at the contents of the ram disk, unless you were able to modify the ramdisk image (not use the .sig file) you will be unable to add another hard disk because there are no device files for hdb etc...

I don't think the devicefiles will be a showstopper, as you can (if we can somehow run the mount command) mknod the devicefile in /tmp or at another writable directory.

So the obstacles for this approach is still;
i) how to run programs already on the PB
ii) can we physically hang another HD on the IDE-bus?
« Last Edit: April 03, 2005, 06:15:29 pm by balle »

Offline judb

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
  • ph4t l3wtz
Re: ramdisk info
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2005, 06:21:24 pm »
mknod is not in the distro as far as I can tell so that would be a problem.  we'd have to do it manually somehow.

Also, from what I can tell, progpld is the CPLDs programmer software and it uses prog.bif as the file to program the CPLD, which is called by 51d or phatd I cant tell which.

prog.bif is signed but I dont know if the phatbox really checks that sig or not.