Author Topic: sourcing centronics 26 connector to make cables?  (Read 4699 times)

Offline jcharles00

• PhatHacker
sourcing centronics 26 connector to make cables?
« on: March 10, 2006, 09:40:25 pm »
i've heard people say they are making their own cables.. i've been looking all day and can't find a source for centronics 26 pin connectors. anyone else?  i'd really hate to try and peel the casing off my audi cable to resolder it.. these things have to be available somewhere... i hear they are used for DVI cables, so maybe thats an option.

anyone have ideas?

Offline S80_UK

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran.
  • Volvo S80 D5 with VW Phatbox
    • Volvo Phatbox Installation
Re: sourcing centronics 26 connector to make cable
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2006, 10:11:58 pm »
Hi,

There are a number of sources (depends partly where you are based - US or Europe).  Also, although they are similar in concept to the old Centronics printer connector they are very different in size and generally go by other names.  The main manufacturer appears to be 3M.  Also I don't think they are used for DVI (that is quite a different connector normally).

From Digi-Key in the US the connector you need is 3M part number 10126-3000VE (Digikey part 3M1703-ND) and the shell is 3M part 10326-A200-00 (Digikey part 3M1752-ND).  they are at http://www.digi-key.com

You can also find the same or similar parts I believe at Mouser. (http://www.mouser.com)

In Europe (specifically the UK) you can get the same £M parts from from RS components. The connector is part number 299-4597 and the shell is part number 163-3364.  RS also have representation in many other countries - see their web site (http://rswww.com).

Les.

« Last Edit: March 10, 2006, 10:18:44 pm by S80_UK »

Offline S80_UK

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran.
  • Volvo S80 D5 with VW Phatbox
    • Volvo Phatbox Installation
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2006, 09:11:21 pm »
The part number that I gave for the shell does not have screw-locks - only the latches.  That works OK - you can just remove the threaded pices from your Phatbox.  

If you want a more secure connection you can get a plastic shell with screw-locks from RadioSpares (rawww.com).  Look up RS Stock no: 448-4531.  Their web site identifes this as 3M part number 10326-52A0-008 which you may also be able to get from other sources.

Les.

Offline jcharles00

• PhatHacker
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2006, 03:46:12 pm »
hey, thanks for the info Les!

i ended up getting lazy and just ordered a cable from pacparts. heheh.

also, on the DVI bit, I actually saw one the other day on ebay, they are more common on larger displays. we had a 20 pin version here in the builing for a 27" LCD display. same connector. i think that in the end though, just buying the real cable is just as cheap..

Offline siberian

• PhatHacker
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2006, 08:34:15 pm »
What part did you order from PacParts and how is it working for you? I need to do the same thing in my audi to get the cartridge to mount vertical instead of poking out horizontal.

John-

hey, thanks for the info Les!

i ended up getting lazy and just ordered a cable from pacparts. heheh.

also, on the DVI bit, I actually saw one the other day on ebay, they are more common on larger displays. we had a 20 pin version here in the builing for a 27" LCD display. same connector. i think that in the end though, just buying the real cable is just as cheap..