Author Topic: Disk Random??  (Read 3299 times)

Offline markbowen

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran.
Disk Random??
« on: April 26, 2006, 02:20:51 pm »
Does anyone know how the "disk random" function works on the Keg/PB?  

I mean, I know how to activate it, but how does it work?  What determines what tracks are called up when using the function?  Is it using one of the *.db files on the DMS?  Do ID3 tags play any role?  Does it search by folder?

I find that "random" frequently plays from many of the same playlists, while ignoring others.  And sometimes, of course, it actually plays the same song twice in a row.

I think I've seen similar gripes from other people here.  I'm just wondering if anyone has figured out any way of improving this function, even slightly.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2006, 09:08:27 pm by markbowen »
Kenwood DNX7200/Kenwood KHD-C710 Keg/320GB DMS

Offline SteveC

• Getting the hang of things.
Re: Disk Random??
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2006, 03:14:11 pm »
The Phatbox's random mode has long been known to use a poor algorithm. At one point, the guys at PB made some changes, but they really never produced much (any?) improvement.

As for disc random, when you are in playlist mode then it uses whatever is in that playlist. Likewise for Artist/Album/Genre modes. Outside of Playlist mode, it uses the tag data (which is used to create the databases).

Offline markbowen

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran.
Re: Disk Random??
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2006, 09:07:51 pm »
Doh! Of course I meant magazine random.  I know disc random just randomizes within a playlist.  Anyway, you answered my question.

Now, does anyone have any idea where one might start to try to tweak the PB algorithm?  Is it contained in any file on the DMS?

Kenwood DNX7200/Kenwood KHD-C710 Keg/320GB DMS