Author Topic: What the f*** did i do??? pls reply ...  (Read 5967 times)

Offline Kat_Daddy

• A few posts under my belt.
  • PhatHacker
What the f*** did i do??? pls reply ...
« on: May 12, 2006, 06:28:59 am »
I had a perfectly good hacked dms. I tried to manually upgrade the firmware to the kenwood 13.01 found here

http://downloads.phathack.com/firmware/

now when i load it in the car cradle the head unit dispalys "aux ext" which i think means there are no discs in the changer which is equal to no DMS in the phatbox. It doesnt play at all in the car, but the pc cradle still recognizes it fine. Does this software unhack the phatbox ? How do i fix it back to the way it was ???

Offline markbowen

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran.
Re: What the f*** did i do??? pls reply ...
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2006, 06:45:11 am »
Did you reset your head unit?  Kenwoods needs to be reset after upgrading the firmware.
Kenwood DNX7200/Kenwood KHD-C710 Keg/320GB DMS

Offline Kat_Daddy

• PhatHacker
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2006, 07:46:00 am »
tell me more. i can get out the owners manual to reset the head unit (it is a kenwood) . but let me remind you that my phatbox is hacked, and my dms is NOT original. after putting in the new firmware will i have to rehack my car cradle = "phatbox" ???

Offline markbowen

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran.
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2006, 12:55:25 pm »
Firmware updates do not overwrite the hack.  Once the Phatbox/Keg is hacked, it stays hacked.

Also, be sure you followed the instructions for upgrading the firmware on the Keg.  The procedure is in your manual.  You have to put the DMS in the Keg, but leave the car/radio turned off until the update is finished.  If you interrupted it, it may not have completed.

For the reset, there should be a tiny button somewhere on the face of your head unit.  You will have to use a ballpoint pen tip or some such thing to press it.

Offline Kat_Daddy

• PhatHacker
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2006, 12:48:20 pm »
no luck... i reset the head unit unplugged the phatbox, nothing changed. when the key is off and the dms inserted i get a solid red light and the green light flashes for approx 3-5 mins. but it still doesnt work. HELP !!!

Offline markbowen

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran.
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2006, 07:41:56 pm »
no luck... i reset the head unit unplugged the phatbox, nothing changed. when the key is off and the dms inserted i get a solid red light and the green light flashes for approx 3-5 mins. but it still doesnt work. HELP !!!

The red light is supposed to be on solid.  That's the power light.  The green light should also normally flash for three to five minutes during a firmware update.  Please, read the manual.

You should consider starting again, but this time load the firmware onto the DMS using the recommended method -- which is from within the Phatnoise software.  Run the firmware wizard, and the software will download the 13.01 firmware from the Phatnoise website.

After correctly loading the firmware, put the DMS into the car without switching it on, and leave it to blink away for five minutes.  When it finishes, turn your car key to the accessory position so that your radio switches on.  THEN reset the head unit if necessary.

Once again, read the manual, as this is all covered there.

Offline Kat_Daddy

• PhatHacker
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2006, 10:16:22 pm »
thanks, unfortunately i dont have my music keg manual anymore. But ill try the phatnoise site upgrades...

Offline judb

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
  • ph4t l3wtz
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2006, 04:09:56 am »
Gee, thats interesting.. I seem to recall the instructions for using a hacked DMS saying to make sure you have the LATEST FIRMWARE ON YOUR PHATBOX prior to running the hacks and that you should UPGRADE / UPDATE PHATBOX FIRMWARE AT YOUR OWN RISK.

I doubt that it caused a problem with the box itself as the "firmware" is really only code for the 8052 controller not the boot code that is stored in flash which is what the "hack" changes.

That said, the DMS PHTSYS may need to be wiped (reformatted in windows is safe.. don't change the partitions) (backup your plugins first) then extract the latest firmware onto phatsys and do the firmware update process (wait 5 minutes before shutting off the radio and power to the keg.. remove the DMS and reinsert it, power the radio back on.  etc...

After you verify the new firmware is working then try readding your plugins directories if you have any.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2006, 04:10:28 am by judb »

Offline Johnny

« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2006, 10:21:25 am »
The same happens on one of my PB's (changes from HDD Ext to Aux Ext or CD CNG) when it's doing a firmware update and it also happens very rarely after starting the car,

Switching the ignition off and disconnecting the PB from the head unit for 10 seconds generally fixes the second issue,

a little patience fixes the first.

Offline Kat_Daddy

• PhatHacker
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2006, 12:49:55 pm »
Gee, thats interesting.. I seem to recall the instructions for using a hacked DMS saying to make sure you have the LATEST FIRMWARE ON YOUR PHATBOX prior to running the hacks and that you should UPGRADE / UPDATE PHATBOX FIRMWARE AT YOUR OWN RISK.
no need to get defensive, im not placing blame on anybody, just looking for info to fix a problem.

The same happens on one of my PB's (changes from HDD Ext to Aux Ext or CD CNG) when it's doing a firmware update and it also happens very rarely after starting the car,  

Switching the ignition off and disconnecting the PB from the head unit for 10 seconds generally fixes the second issue,  

a little patience fixes the first.  

how much patience are we talking about 5, 10,15, and how do we know whne its finished ??? thanks for your response..

Offline Johnny

« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2006, 04:28:41 pm »
If its a firmware update it's a 5-8 minute wait, no more and I can't remember what happens after its done, I just make sure that no lights are flashing on the PB then switch the car off and on

As I said my PB does crash every now and then on starting and display Aux Ext  and the only cure I've found (so far) for that is to uplug the lead from the back of it for 10 seconds (no less than that though as it has no effect on mine if I do it any quicker).

Offline markbowen

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran.

Offline Kat_Daddy

• PhatHacker
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2006, 02:22:06 am »
Got the box back to 100% again. All evidence that it was derived from a VW is gone. Firmware updated to KW 13.01 from phatnoise with PMM software and i got the PMM upgrade also. I dont know if the firmware i downlaoded from this site is faulty, but i would not suggest using it to do a firmware swap; ie changing VW firmware to Kenwood firmware. But if your just repairing your existing firmware maybe. I fixed my properties so only "Disc Title" displays rather than "PLY001 Disc Title", been working on that for awhile. Whole updating process took about 3 minutes then the h.u. started playing on its on. I allowed the first 2 songs to play through, then turned the key off then on again and reset the h.u. just to be safe, as it did state this procedure on the phatnoise. Thanks again guys, great site

Offline sbingner

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2006, 07:51:21 pm »
did you delete EVERYTHING from your PHATSYS partition before dumping out the .zip files?

If you had some strange plugin left over it could have caused problems similar to what you describe