Author Topic: Mazda veh-> VW phatnoise: firmware help  (Read 7719 times)

Offline chevltom

• PhatHacker
Mazda veh-> VW phatnoise: firmware help
« on: December 08, 2005, 06:18:03 pm »
Is there an easy way to recover firmware from the DMS. I have a new Mazda DMS, and have been able to make work with the VW phatbox, but will not work with the VW supplied DMS. Is is possible to reconfigure the DMS to see it as a Mazda DMS. I think the DMS is reflashing the firmware to VW everytime I insert the VW DMS. I'm trying to use my old VW phatnoise in a new Mazda 6, but it will only work with my friends Mazda DMS. The MM software does not allow for update to MAZDA firmware. TIA

Offline wtrjock

• PhatHacker
Re: Mazda veh-> VW phatnoise: firmware help
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2005, 10:11:59 pm »
I am very interested if you get this to work.  I am trying to use my Audi phatnoise out of my S4 in my new Mazda3.  I have searched for how to hook it up, but haven't been able to find it.  Do you have any documentation on how to hook the Phatnoise to the Mazda stereo?

Maybe we can work on a solution together.

Thanks,

Travis

Offline chevltom

• PhatHacker
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2005, 10:21:48 pm »
I got the VW unit to work with the Mazda supplied cable (from Mazda's install kit) and a Mazda DMS, but am in need of the firmware upgrade for the VW box to Mazda specs, or a way to clear the VW info from the VW DMS. I know it'll work, but will require someone more knowledgable than I to get it perfect. I'll keep you posted. If anyone has any ideas, please jump in anytime.

Offline judb

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
  • ph4t l3wtz
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2005, 11:53:03 pm »
well, the only thing that causes a flash will be the forceupdate file exiting in the phtsys drive...

Now, that said, there are some other things that are not the same between the mazda and the audi firmware so you may be running into issues with the phatbox.ini perhaps when switching DMS around like that.  I've never tried it so I can't say it will or wont work for sure like that if you have both kinds of DMS and both kinds of phatboxes.

if you want to make the VW dms like a mazda its easy to do.. just delete all the files in phtsys root directory and then download the mazda firmware files from phatbox.sixpak.org and extract them there.  You should be fine.

As for getting a non mazda phatbox to work in a mazda, I think that the mazda version of the phatbox has an extra chip in it to make it work (I mean its one of the newer phatboxes and has some new hardware in it.)  I could be mistaken.  SteveC might be able to chime in.. but if you search on the forum with a search date range over the last year you should find some posts about it.

Offline chevltom

• PhatHacker
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2005, 04:16:26 am »
I've got the VW phatbox working in the Mazda, but only if I use the Mazda DMS with it. The VW unit loaded the firmware (about 5 min) and started playing when turned on. Is there something that prevents copying the files from the Mazda DMS to the VW DMS? I've tried a couple times and it wont copy some of the files (like they're protected or something). Is there any special utility required to copy from/to the DMS? Or is there a small list of standard required items which must be present for the DMS to be recognized by the phatbox.

Mazda firmware files are not shown on that site, and I couldn't find them anywhere I checked.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2005, 04:19:49 am by chevltom »

Offline A543

• Veteran.
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2005, 04:12:30 pm »
Is it possible for you to install the Mazda version of PMM?  If so, delete everything in your PHTSYS partition on your VW DMS and let the Mazda PMM set up the DMS fresh.

Offline chevltom

• PhatHacker
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2005, 07:39:21 pm »
VIOLA!
It works!
Running PMM 2.3.6, I used the files from the Mazda DMS Phatsys partition and manually loaded them onto the VW DMS phatsys partition, after deleting all files it would let me delete. I overwrote the ones it would not allow to be deleted. Plugged the VW DMS into the VW phatnoise and the Mazda head unit recognized it right away and began to play. Life is good! Thanks to all that helped with this!
« Last Edit: December 09, 2005, 07:41:28 pm by chevltom »

Offline cardura9

• PhatHacker
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2006, 02:32:11 am »
Where can I find these MAZDA DMS files?

Offline judb

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
  • ph4t l3wtz
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2006, 04:44:17 am »
phatbox.sixpak.org should have them.

Offline cardura9

• PhatHacker
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2006, 10:11:43 am »
phatbox.sixpak.org should have them.

No, there is no Mazda DMS files on that site.  Any other sources out there?

Offline judb

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
  • ph4t l3wtz
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2006, 03:00:56 pm »
turns out that phatbox.sixpak.org is dead (points to dailyphat.com which isnt serving firmware anymore...)

http://downloads.phathack.com/firmware/ has the downloads.. get the ford firmware and I am pretty sure it will work.  not 100 percent but almost 100 percent sure.  Ford owns Mazda so its a good guess anyhow.  The mazda unit is listed in the phatbox.ini in the ford firmware so take that for what its worth.

Offline wtrjock

• PhatHacker
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2006, 05:12:00 pm »
chevltom, can you see if your Mazda DMS PHTSYS files are the same as the Ford Firmware files from this site?  I was going to try adding the Ford Firmware to my Audi Phatnoise, to have it work in my Mazda 3.

Did you buy a cable from Mazda, or did you make one?  I haven't found a place that shows how to make the cable.  

Where does the cable plug into?  

Do you lose the CD Changer capability on the Mazda stereo?

Thanks,

Travis

Offline chevltom

• PhatHacker
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2006, 06:27:04 pm »
The files dont look the same as the Ford, filenames are the same, but modified date is different. The cable comes in the install kit from Mazda. The cable connects directly to back of head unit and must be run through vehicle to mounting location. I'm not sure on the CD changer thing, the in-dash 6 disc still works the same, but no ability to add seperate disc changer due to plug being used.

Offline cardura9

• PhatHacker
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2006, 07:26:33 pm »
Hello,

I am still trying to get the Mazda Firmware Files.

I contacted Mazda Phatnoise, and they told me to use the Audi/VW Firmware.  I tried this and it did not work.  

I am hoping that there is someone out there who can help me get the files needed.

I am beginning to think that I need to find someone with a working MAZDA DMS cartridge, and copy the files over myself.  

Thanks for your help.

Offline wtrjock

• PhatHacker
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2006, 09:50:59 pm »
Chev,

Is it possible for you to compress the Mazda DMS firmware files and email, or post them?  I could give you a location to post to.

Thanks,

Travis

Offline cardura9

• PhatHacker
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2006, 03:52:48 pm »
That would be cool, or tell me where I can send you mine.  And a personal donation for your trouble of course! 8-)

Thanks

Offline zero cool

• Getting the hang of things.
  • PhatHacker
« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2006, 04:33:42 pm »
I know this is an old post, In case someone has the Notify me to new replies selected for this thread.

this now works. See thread:

http://forum.phathack.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1139130555/30#30

Zc