Author Topic: VW Copying to new DMS Failed  (Read 16869 times)

Offline judb

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
  • ph4t l3wtz
Re: VW Copying to new DMS Failed
« Reply #20 on: August 15, 2006, 01:42:43 pm »
well you could try copying it over from the working drive...  although nothing we do should touch that file.  hmmm.  it also sounds like pmm isn't signing your playlists on the phtdta parition based off that error
« Last Edit: August 15, 2006, 01:43:26 pm by judb »

Offline Anton

• Needs to get outside.
  • I'll figure it out
« Reply #21 on: August 15, 2006, 07:04:12 pm »
 it also sounds like pmm isn't signing your playlists on the phtdta parition based off that error

Could have something to do with this... Before the Hack, I was using the wrong firmware for my box.  I had selected the Platinum Edition Phatbox, instead of the VW/Audi box.  Although it was working in my box, I did switch back to the VW/Audi firmware as soon as I noticed the mistake.

Ghost won't do what I want it to (trial version), and I don't have Powerquest Drive Image.  Perhaps I will try to switch the firmware around.  I know others are running various firmwares.  Is there a danger to the headunit?

Offline judb

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
  • ph4t l3wtz
« Reply #22 on: August 16, 2006, 09:35:50 pm »
There is no issue that I know of if you load the wrong firmware, it just may not play until you load the correct one.

the flac file that is mentioned as corrupt is how we trigger flacplay script execution which has been replaced by our scripts to flash the firmware bootloader.  you can remove that error by editing the ini file under profiles on the phtdata partition.  just remove the startup sound path and you are good to go.

I think the firmware selection has nothing to do with the DMS not working.  its booting fine, theres just nothing in the database for it to play / playlists.  you should delete the profiles folder in my opition on phtdata and all the db files out of the root of the phtdta drive, run chkdsk too, then try making a playlist with one set of songs on it and save / eject the dms to see if it plays.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2006, 09:38:47 pm by judb »

Offline ecb5

• A few posts under my belt.
« Reply #23 on: September 04, 2006, 12:11:57 am »
Hi i was trying to create another dms.
I used the DMS HACK and REPAIR CD posted.
Everything was going fine. I went to the car to insert the original dms to hack the phatnoise. Heard the message the system is now hacked ...
When i came back to my computer to continue with the processes and swap the hard drive inside... horror!!!  my wife had rebooted the computer.

What must i do know that i cannot continue with the process.

Thanks in advance

Offline judb

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
  • ph4t l3wtz
« Reply #24 on: September 04, 2006, 01:40:24 am »
just re-run the process and skip the portion where you go to the car... it doesn't hurt anything.

Offline ecb5

« Reply #25 on: September 04, 2006, 02:43:12 am »
thanks i'll do that and will let everybody know

Offline ecb5

« Reply #26 on: September 04, 2006, 02:02:02 pm »
Ok i did it this morning but still have one problem

I was able to hack a new drive upload new music with music manager

But when i insert the dms into my phatbox, i get a NO MAGAZINE error message

If i use the original dms, it always start by a a message saying that my system has beeen unlocked.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2006, 09:24:43 pm by ecb5 »

Offline ecb5

« Reply #27 on: September 04, 2006, 11:07:12 pm »
Ok everything is fine now.
I used the Genesis method and it worked.
Thanks guys ;D :P

Offline Anton

• Needs to get outside.
  • I'll figure it out
« Reply #28 on: September 05, 2006, 02:50:59 am »
Glad it worked for the ecb5,
Ugh, I did the genesis method (dd command) and still cannot get it to work.  I am getting the No magazine message from head Unit.  Original DMS still works.

Offline ecb5

« Reply #29 on: September 05, 2006, 11:05:15 am »
This is all my process

I used the latest automatic hack cd
started the hack
removed the original dms to hack the phatbox
Because my wife had rebooted my computer mean time, i had to start all over
after repeating the first steps, swapped the drive
continued with the copying part.
went to the car but it didn't boot ( flashed one long, 5 shorts, 11 shorts, continuesly)
swap to the original but it kept on hacking the phatbox everytime i started the car
uploaded the original with the latest firmware and original worked fine but no boot with hack dms
used genesis method and the first time i turned on the radio, the hacked dms didn't work but the second time it did.

Offline Anton

• Needs to get outside.
  • I'll figure it out
« Reply #30 on: September 05, 2006, 07:03:45 pm »
This is all my process

I used the latest automatic hack cd    I used v 1.5, i think it is the latest.
started the hack
went to the car but it didn't boot ( flashed one long, 5 shorts, 11 shorts, continuesly) Turn off the radio before removing, i guess
swap to the original but it kept on hacking the phatbox everytime i started the car  This is just the startup sound being replayed[/b]
uploaded the original with the latest firmware and original worked fine but no boot with hack dms  Did you use PMM to upload the firmware, or the files from Phathack?
used genesis method and the first time i turned on the radio, the hacked dms didn't work but the second time it did.   Did you leave the DMS in the box, or take it out between tries?

Offline ecb5

« Reply #31 on: September 05, 2006, 09:37:53 pm »
This is all my process

I used the latest automatic hack cd    I used v 1.5, i think it is the latest.Yes that's it
started the hack
went to the car but it didn't boot ( flashed one long, 5 shorts, 11 shorts, continuesly) Turn off the radio before removing, i guess Yes i did turn off the radio before removing the dms
swap to the original but it kept on hacking the phatbox everytime i started the car  This is just the startup sound being replayed[/b] Everytime i started the car the prompt saying i had unlocked the phatnoise played.
uploaded the original with the latest firmware and original worked fine but no boot with hack dms  Did you use PMM to upload the firmware, or the files from Phathack?Yes i did use PMM
used genesis method and the first time i turned on the radio, the hacked dms didn't work but the second time it did.   Did you leave the DMS in the box, or take it out between tries?Left it in the phatnoise and turned off the radio once. Turned on again and it played

Offline judb

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
  • ph4t l3wtz
« Reply #32 on: September 06, 2006, 04:48:05 am »
That quote from ECB5 is very hard to read.. can you edit your post and clean that up so it isn't just a quote?

Offline ecb5

« Reply #33 on: September 06, 2006, 11:02:12 am »
Sorry, didn't realize how hard it was...
to answer last Anton questions...

Yes that's it that is the the cd hack i used
Yes i did turn off the radio before removing the dms after it failed to boot
With the original dms, Everytime i started the car the prompt saying i had unlocked the phatnoise played.
Yes i did use PMM to upload the firmware to the original dms
I left the hacked dms in the phatnoise and turned off the radio once. Turned on again and it played

Offline ecb5

« Reply #34 on: September 14, 2006, 12:21:59 pm »
Now that my new dms has been working fine for a couple of weeks, i was wondering if i can format the original dms and use it in my laptop?
If in the future i would like to set another dms can i do it with the hacked one?

TIA

Offline Anton

• Needs to get outside.
  • I'll figure it out
« Reply #35 on: September 14, 2006, 03:51:37 pm »
There is a way to set up a new DMS with the hacked one.  It involves the dd command, and I don't know the whole process.  I believe you will need the Original DMS to set up the Box to run unassigned drives.

Look around there is more info here in this section.

Offline S80_UK

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran.
  • Volvo S80 D5 with VW Phatbox
    • Volvo Phatbox Installation
« Reply #36 on: September 14, 2006, 10:15:54 pm »
Be careful!!!!   :o

You really should try to keep your original DMS available.  If you ever need to hack another Phatbox, you will need your orginal DMS to do it.  If your current box dies, and you have reused your disk in a laptop, you have no chance to hack a replacement box unless you also get another original DMS.

It is possible to archive the DMS signature and resore it back later using dd (you must restore to the same physical disk drive if you want it to work in an unhacked Phatbox), but given the low cost of laptop drives these days, I would say it is really not worth the risk unless you are desparate.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2006, 10:16:42 pm by S80_UK »

Offline Anton

• Needs to get outside.
  • I'll figure it out
« Reply #37 on: September 14, 2006, 11:57:38 pm »
You could still use the HD in an external enclosure,  just don't change anything.  Use whatever space is left to store whatever you need.  Put it in PHTDATA, where the music would normally be...

Offline ecb5

« Reply #38 on: September 15, 2006, 12:01:46 am »
You could still use the HD in an external enclosure,  just don't change anything.  Use whatever space is left to store whatever you need.  Put it in PHTDATA, where the music would normally be...

Thanks guys.
That its true, it's only 20gb
I will do what anton says.

I will erase all mp3 and create a folder in phtdata to store stuff using a usb cable and the enclosure my hacked hd came in.
Thanks again.