Author Topic: Corrupt original DMS ... any hope repartioning?  (Read 4673 times)

Offline suv

• PhatHacker
Corrupt original DMS ... any hope repartioning?
« on: July 21, 2006, 05:09:12 pm »
Hello. Everything's been gravy with my DMS and box up until last night. I was doing a lot of updating and swapping etc etc and everything seemed fine and then all of a sudden I put the DMS in and nothing happened. PMM isn't recognizing it, My Computer isn't recognizing it... nothing. However, if I pull it out without "stopping it" I get an error message... so the computer knows its there.

I went to My Computer -> Manage -> Storage -> Disk Management and it shows up in the bottom grey window but not the top list. It says it's 9.7 GB capacity (or something close to that) and that it's basic, and that it is all one partition, (it does not say "healthy"  :( )

I can right click on it and it still says "Manufacturer: Phat Noise USB" something er other... so it sort of looks like it's ok.....

Any tricks to recovering, repairing, reformatting etc... or has this thing totally bit the dust.  (If this is a totally newb question, please kindly point me toward some reference on this topic... and my apologies). Help is very much appreciated (please hurry! leaving on a road trip in 4 hours!!)

Thanks,
Rob

Offline sbingner

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
Re: Corrupt original DMS ... any hope repartioning
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2006, 06:47:31 pm »
You can try using the phatnoise DMS repair cd to fix it...  it will reformat the drive, and you will have to use PMM to reload the firmware on it.

Make sure you go to advanced mode and do a quick repair or it'll take hours

Offline suv

• PhatHacker
Re: Corrupt original DMS ... any hope repartioning
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2006, 06:51:17 pm »
Ohh... that's good to know. I had pretty much resigned to having to send it in, because it was taking really long to even get started when I tried to run the repair CD Unix tool thing. I'll give it a try tonight using the "quick repair"... and we'll see how we do.

thanks for the help!!

-r