Author Topic: Need some quick help  (Read 6937 times)

Offline ry4n

• A few posts under my belt.
Need some quick help
« on: July 22, 2006, 02:27:41 am »
I'm using a hacked 80GB drive in my Kenwood Music Keg FYI.
Here are my problems:

1) I edited the phatbox.ini file, as suggested in another thread in order to change the playlist display from 100 to 250. I only changed the 0 to a 1 on the designated line. That made my HU show 250 discs, but only the first 100 were actually working, the remaining 150 said 'No Disc'. So I tried changing the line back from 1 to a 0 to turn the feature off. Well it didnt change anything.

2) I accidentally put the DMS into the Keg while it was on, which caused my next problem. The Keg works fine except whenever it is turned off, instead of starting where it left off, it will say "eject", then "loading" and it will play track 1 from playlist 1.

3) So I put the Kenwood firmware (v13.01) onto the DMS and loaded it up in the Keg, it loaded for a couple mins then turned off and said eject. I turned off the HU, took out the DMS and put it back in and turned it on, only for it to do the same thing. So now my DMS is not playing at all.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2006, 02:28:45 am by ry4n »

Offline ry4n

Re: Need some quick help
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2006, 03:28:18 am »
Well I keep digging myself deeper into the hole.

The Keg wouldn't play either the original or the new (80GB) DMS, so I repaired the original, and put the Kenwood firmware onto it, which didn't do anything.

I took the Keg out of the car, took it apart and made sure othing was loose. Everything looked fine. Put it back in the car and now instead of being called HDD EXT, it was AUX EXT, and nothing looked like it was being registered through the headunit. The green and red lights stayed solid for a few seconds, then the green blinked slow for a few seconds, then blinked rapidly for 3-4 minutes before turning off and rebooting only to do this sequence all over again. Nothing showed on the headunit.

Now my Sirius box will not work while the Keg is plugged in. I have to keep it unplugged if I want to listen to Sirius. It will recognize the Sirius Tuner, and even download the information, but I do not have any sound while it is plugged in.

Tomorrow's tasks are going to involve disconnecting the Sirius box altogether, and plugging the Keg directly to my HU, to see if the Keg is recognized, and see if the firmware loads up properly or not. Something is definately done for good, don't know if it is the Keg or the Sirius box, but I'm hoping the latter.

If anyone has any ideas, I'm listening.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2006, 03:57:23 am by ry4n »

Offline ry4n

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2006, 03:39:07 pm »
Just plugged my Keg into my HU without the Sirius Tuner, and it still does the same thing:

Solid red and green 4-5 seconds, Solid red & slow flashing green 10-15 seconds, then solid red and quick flashing green 3-4 minutes. Then a reboot and the process starts all over. both with the original DMS and the hacked 80GB DMS.

Looks like my Keg is done  :'(

Offline judb

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
  • ph4t l3wtz
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2006, 06:19:12 pm »
could be, those blinking lights should be in some kind of pattern after the slow blinking stops.  it is a diagnostic code, kinda like beep codes on a computer during POST.  Try and record the number of blinks and post the info on it here.  Sam at one point had most of them figured out from decoding some info in the software but I don't know if he made a wiki article about it or not.

Offline ry4n

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2006, 09:39:23 pm »
That would be tough to count. It blinks like 3 or so times a second for roughly 3-4 minutes. So probably a few hundred times. All while the red light stays lit.

Offline judb

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
  • ph4t l3wtz
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2006, 02:39:12 am »
maybe its the slow ones.. i forget.  It has been a long time since we fooled with that stuff.. (over a year) but you may have luck searching the dms hack forum from anywhere back to march of 05

Offline markbowen

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran.
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2006, 07:54:45 am »
You loaded the 13.01 firmware onto the keg, apparently after running the patch.  That should not screw things up, but you should have made sure you had the latest firmware loaded before applying the patch.

In any case, you wrote that after you loaded the firmware, you turned the HU off.  Did you also reset the head unit?  You have to do that with Kenwood head units after loading firmware.  Check your HU manual for the reset procedure -- usually there is a tiny button on the face that you can push with a ballpoint pen.

If that does not resolve anything, your symptoms could be from an incompleted patch process.  I had the same symptoms after my first patch attempt.  Running the original DMS with the patch on it several times (using the ramdisk.sig trick if necessary) may resolve the issues.  If in doubt, start completely from the beginning.
Kenwood DNX7200/Kenwood KHD-C710 Keg/320GB DMS

Offline S80_UK

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran.
  • Volvo S80 D5 with VW Phatbox
    • Volvo Phatbox Installation
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2006, 11:11:38 am »
I agree with the above.  It sounds like your box is not completely patched.  The long burst of flashes is when it is updating the firmware in flash memory from the DMS.  The shorter burst is an error code of some description.  I very much doubt that you have wrecked anything, more likely it's just a bit confused  :)

As mentioned, reapplying the patch (if necessary more than once) and tweaking the ramdisk.sig file should do the trick.  

See here for info...

http://forum.phathack.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1150314079/7#7

Offline ry4n

« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2006, 03:42:11 pm »
The Keg did have the latest firmware on it before I tried re-running the firmware installation. I also did make sure to reset the HU after running the firmware. Didn't seem to change anything.

I tried starting from the beginning by using the patch disk, but the first part of it (where I insert the original DMS into the Keg, just before swapping drives) results in the same light blinking that happens as mentioned above.

Should I keep re-trying this part of the process? Or move on to the next steps?

Offline ry4n

« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2006, 05:15:48 pm »
The other question would then be, why does the audio from my Sirius tuner cut out when i plug the Keg cable into the keg? It comes right on when I unplug it...

Offline ry4n

« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2006, 05:48:15 pm »
Ok, I got everything working. Basically since I had re-started the patch process, I took the advice given in that link that you posted S80. Did the ramdisk.sig rename procedure on the original drive and put it in the Keg. Took a few minutes to load all the way, I then let it reboot on it's own and it worked, fixing the odd Sirius sound issue in the process.

Then I had to do the same thing with the ramdisk file on the newer drive (I was really hoping that it would do the trick, I didn't want to have to type in 580 disc titles and wait for 10.7GB to transfer over USB1.1), which allowed the Keg to see that drive too.

It also seems that my very original problem of the Keg not remembering what track I was playing last once the power is cut, has also been fixed. I'll have to double-check that today though.

Thanks for all the help, you all have saved me a great deal of time (not to mention cash that I don't really have at the moment).  :D
« Last Edit: July 24, 2006, 05:49:57 pm by ry4n »

Offline sbingner

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2006, 06:52:57 pm »
Then I had to do the same thing with the ramdisk file on the newer drive (I was really hoping that it would do the trick, I didn't want to have to type in 580 disc titles and wait for 10.7GB to transfer over USB1.1), which allowed the Keg to see that drive too.

This means the patch didn't complete.  You need to run it again so it can complete patching your boot-firmware, after that it won't care if the ramdisk.sig is valid or not...

Offline sbingner

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2006, 06:54:01 pm »
PS.  You can now run the patch from the new drive or your original DMS since it's patched that much already

Offline ry4n

« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2006, 10:14:53 pm »
When you say run the patch again, do you mean start all over from the beginning? And do the full process? or just the last couple of steps?

I know the last half of the patch process involves erasing the upgrade drive, which I'd like to avoid doing, especially since it is working fine now.

Offline sbingner

• Administrator
  • Veteran.
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2006, 12:27:54 pm »
all you need to do is put the patch software on  dms... ie the first step I think

Offline ry4n

« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2006, 03:57:19 pm »
Alright, I will give that a go. Thanks.